Festival German Weiss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi noodle
Also done this kit about 6 mts ago, love wheat beer and was the best wheat beer kit I’ve done (I’ve done a right few)
Franziskaner is what I’d love to be able to brew :thumb:

But after about 6 weeks in the bottle it went downhill :mad3:
Every bottle I opened from then on were over carbed! Actually had the exact same problem with the festival pale ale as far as I remember
The flavour stared to go and turned slightly sour:yuk:
Think I fermented it for 2 weeks but readings were stable so bottled
Anyhow just wondering how your last few bottles went down?

Sounds like you may have got some wild yeasties in their that started further fermentation that lead to the sour flavour and excessive carbonation. Once bottled it should keep for many months and not really deteriorate provided it's kept somewhere cool and dark.

You could be right Graz, strange that the exact same thing happened to both of the festival kits I done, never had any other real issues with any other kits.
In fact I done the festival new Zealand pilsner which turned out really good, only problem was everybody liked it but me! Far to bitter hops in that one for me :sad1:

Thanks for the update, keen to make one of these for summertime supping (i.e. next year!), will definitely be going for it based on your positive review.

Thread resurrection time. Finally got round to buying and making one of these. Thought it would work well now I have corny kegs and gas.

Quick taster from the sample jar last night before transferring to the keg, wow, very excited about this one, it tastes like a German Weiss but perhaps even nicer and that was a warm flat sample. Can't wait to try it cool and carbonated.

As per others above the yeast on this one is a pretty feisty job, don't often get beer trying to escape the fermenter but this one did.

Drinking this now.

All I can say is WOW!

I've brewed a lot of beer kits over time and had some pretty good ones but this I doubt I'd be able to tell you it was home brewed if I blind tasted it. It's even stayed nice and cloudy in the keg. Think the cornys help to as I can get a proper carbonation on it, aimed for just under 4 volumes of CO2 which is about 2 bar on my regulator as my fridge runs at around 6°C. Makes pouring it interesting 😁

Will definitely be making this again.

I was just about to start using this kit but noticed there were no hops included despite being listed on the side of the box. Are hops not required for this kit and with the flavour only coming from the yeast and malt?

Are hops not required for this kit and with the flavour only coming from the yeast and malt?

I can't comment about this kit specifically, but generally hops additions are very low in wheat beers. When I brew an all grain wheat beer I am only adding 15-30g of reasonably low alpha hops (e.g. Perle is what I mostly use) at the beginning of the boil.

Last edited:
Just brewed this also and am loving it 👍👍 - drinking now after 6 weeks and it goes down really well.

Attachments

• BD95BD67-3DF2-436F-BE0D-F266CC41388C.jpeg
    BD95BD67-3DF2-436F-BE0D-F266CC41388C.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 51
Split the pack down (get bored drinking same beer all the time so like to make smaller batches) and brewed 10 pints with in my old Pinter 1 under pressure then bottled, tastes fantastic just like Weiss should, just a little darker as you would expect from extract. Very vigorous fermentation, maybe pitched too much yeast. Named it Street Weiss
94EE31F8-3C40-430C-8447-45A4BD07E716.jpeg

I started brewing the festival Weiss yesterday lunch time and by this evening I’ve had to change my airlock 3 times because of Krausen finding it’s way up and through, no explosions or anything yet but if you’re thinking of doing this kit it’s worth keeping an eye on it so you don’t get any blockages. Really happy with how this is going so far, brewing at 20 degrees C. Can’t wait to try it in a few weeks time.

To anyone who is enjoying Festival Weiss I can thoroughly recommend Mangrove Jacks’ Orange & Cinnamon Wit. Just made some for Christmas and it is delicious. Ferment Fast at 20C.

Latest posts

Back