Energy Drink Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtrog

(Not so) Senior Member
Reaction score
I finally bottled and tasted my energy drink wine last night, it's only 12% but it tastes a lot stronger. The scent of the energy drink (apple and hibiscus according to the label) is concentrated, yet the flavour is much more subtle than I expected, to the point I may add more energy drink next time. It also answers the question that coffee wine has of is the caffeine is or is not used by the yeast - No it isn't, or at least not all of it, there is a definite caffeine bitterness in the finish, but that isn't unpleasant to my pallet. Recipe is
3L Energy Drink (I used Morrison's own)
Sugar to % wanted
Pectolase (just in case)
yeast & nutrient
Water to 1 gallon.
Boil energy drink and sugar for 10 mins (the smell off this is amazing). leave to cool, put in demi john, add everything else, follow standard wine making procedure.
As I said at the start I'd probably use more like 4L of energy drink and boil it down a bit more, so that it all fits in the dj, but what I have now is reasonable.

I did pretty much the same with iron bru and found the colour racidaccly changed,
What colour did this turn out if u don't mind me asking :)?

It turned out a pale cider colour, straw like almost, not dissimilar to energy drink, maybe a bit paler, but that could have been the extra water, can't really remember how it looked when I poured it in.

I bought some "Super Malt" energy drink in the world foods section of tescos and wondered if this kind of energy drink might make a good brew :hmm:

It's a malty beer like sweet horlicksy kinda drink :eek:

Tyronnster said:
Newbie question but how much sugar?

Depends how strong you want it, 1kg of sugar in the gallon will give you about 11-12%abv.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
Brewtrog said:
Tyronnster said:
Newbie question but how much sugar?

Depends how strong you want it, 1kg of sugar in the gallon will give you about 11-12%abv.

That's 1kg of sugar including the sugar in the energy drink, correct?

Nope, 1kg sugar plus the stuff in the energy drink, according to CJJ Berry's chart 1kg of sugar would only get you 11%abv, the extra in the energy drink gets it up to about 12%

Brewtrog said:
Tim_Crowhurst said:
Brewtrog said:

That's 1kg of sugar including the sugar in the energy drink, correct?

Nope, 1kg sugar plus the stuff in the energy drink, according to CJJ Berry's chart 1kg of sugar would only get you 11%abv, the extra in the energy drink gets it up to about 12%

Red Bull is just over 10% sugar, so 3L would be a bit over 300g. if 1kg = 11%, then surely 1.3KG = 14-15%?

Tim_Crowhurst said:
Red Bull is just over 10% sugar, so 3L would be a bit over 300g. if 1kg = 11%, then surely 1.3KG = 14-15%?
hmm, maybe you're right. I didn't write down how much sugar I put in, just the gravities. But looking at the charts then you're right, unless morrisons own energy drink has a much lower sugar concentration, which I doubt.

An interesting side effect, and one that has put my dad right off this stuff, it makes you cough. I don't know why, but it does, if anyone has a scientific explanation I'd be fascinated to hear it.

Brewtrog said:
An interesting side effect, and one that has put my dad right off this stuff, it makes you cough. I don't know why, but it does, if anyone has a scientific explanation I'd be fascinated to hear it.
Maybe you should call it cough syrup :rofl:

Cough syrup is a good name.

Although not a scientific reply but the amount of synthetic Taurine in energy drinks is likely the cause of the cough. It happens to me when i drink large amounts.

Tyronnster said:
How much yeast an what nutrient.
Sorry need specifics I'm a newbie

Yeast nutrient is a white crystalline powder that contains several nutrients that yeast need which are often lacking in fruits other than grapes. It helps ensure that your wine ferments well.

For yeast, you want either 1 sachet of yeast (usually 5-8g, and about £1-£1.50 each) or 1 teaspoon of general purpose brewing yeast (£1.50-£2 for 100g, so a lot cheaper per brew). One sachet/teaspoon of yeast is enough for between 1 and 5 gallons of wine as a single batch. Baker's yeast is not recommended for wines as it can't cope as well with alcohol.

It's probably wise to have a few sachets of champagne yeast spare at any one time, especially when you're finding your feet, in case you get a stuck ferment - i.e. if the yeast you pitch into the wine stops working for some reason. Sparkling wine or champagne yeasts (Lalvin EC-1118, Gervin 3 and Vintner's Harvest CL23) are all good for restarting a stuck ferment, and Young's do a yeast specifically for the purpose (Young's restart).

this is going to be my next wine it sounds amazing... does it have the same affects as a jager..... drunk but really awake :grin:

do you need to add any more sugar prior to bottling?

thanks

Latest posts

Back