Onion Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day in some parts of the old Soviet Union which I had cause to visit a couple of times used to brew Onion Beer which I can vouch for was absolutely bouff!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick:

Given time I suppose you can get used to drinking anything.

Have been looking for an interesting next wine to have a go at :D just need to get some yeast i this week and might have a go :D

When I was in the Merchant Navy in the 70's before the fall of the commies. I used to regularly run into Klaipeda a the eastern end of the Baltic. The only beer available in the town was Onion Beer and it was absolutely bouff :sick: :sick: :sick:

Interestingly it was dispensed from a machine in the Bakeries and cost 5 kopeks per 500ml. You could get totally wrecked for about 50 kopeks. the Rouble at the time was work about £1. Bakeries in town were the centre of social life, it probably related to the availability of yeast.

But, with a steely resolve and some persistence its amazing how it was possible to get used to it

Well someone had to have a go

a9upy7y8.jpg

Its sat in some water to cool it down a bit before I pitch the yeast, but at 32 degrees the hydrometer reading was 1.135 so will have to correct that once I can get onto the computer, just hope the gervin GV1 yeast I have got will like the high reading :lol: have followed the instructions apart from I couldnt be bothered to hand slice the raisins so had the smart idea of using a food processor with a slicing attachment, needless to say I ended up adding some water and making raisin soup :D but hay you live and learn

So give it a couple of months and I will let you all know what its like

hay it is worth a go :D I love trying different things and this one just had to be done :lol:

CheshireCBR said:
hay it is worth a go :D I love trying different things and this one just had to be done :lol:

I just need to free up a DemiJohn and this is looking to be added to the to do list.

Wonder if a combination of Red and White onions would make it a Rose?

I dod look at the red onions :lol: but thorght I would stick with the white ones for now :D

Will update once it is done and let people know

Just need either another demi, or for the tea, coffee or parsnip sherry to get a shift on!!

It get racked off the onion after a week and its still fermenting away nicely, havent taken another gravity reading yet but might do it later on this week to see how its going, still looks a murky brown at the moment :lol:

Not too bad one all the onions were out :lol: did a gravity reading the other day and it is now down to 1.030 after a month of fermenting so thats a drop of 0.100 so far :D

CheshireCBR said:
Not too bad one all the onions were out :lol: did a gravity reading the other day and it is now down to 1.030 after a month of fermenting so thats a drop of 0.100 so far :D

Don't forget the corn flour there's nothing worse than thin gravy. :lol:

Latest posts

Back