How to add ingredients?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshboy

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to start experimenting with a kit so have a Wilko Hoppy copper bitter. If I wanted a really hoppy nose and taste with not too much bitterness could I add a hops infusion bag or a fragrant hops in a muslin bag to it? directly in the fermentation barrel? if so post or pre fermentation? (4 day fermentation) any hops suggestions? or has anyone added any other interesting ingredients to their kit?

Hoppy nose with no more bitterness is dry-hopping territory. Get a muslin bag and some marbles or something similar to weight the bag. 30g of East Kent Goldings or similar in the muslin and then in the FV for a few days after fermentation. I got this idea from the Wherry tweak.

Great thanks for the advice Just, could I do the same with say, coriander? or fruit like raspberry's?

Hi, I wanted to start experimenting with a kit so have a Wilko Hoppy copper bitter. If I wanted a really hoppy nose and taste with not too much bitterness could I add a hops infusion bag or a fragrant hops in a muslin bag to it? directly in the fermentation barrel? if so post or pre fermentation? (4 day fermentation) any hops suggestions? or has anyone added any other interesting ingredients to their kit?

Hoppy nose is dry hopping, hoppy taste is a hop tea. A litre of water on the hob and bring it to the boil then throw in some hops for 10 mins. The hoppier you like your beer will determine how much you want in there.
Cheers!

Hoppy nose is dry hopping, hoppy taste is a hop tea. A litre of water on the hob and bring it to the boil then throw in some hops for 10 mins. The hoppier you like your beer will determine how much you want in there.
Cheers!

I've tried both methods and up to now, the dry hopping is not doing it for me. No way.
Hop tea with Cascade pellets made a huge difference - though it only lasted a few short weeks.
Dry hopping with leaf hops, much less.

This could be due to many other factors, but on my limited experience, hop tea seems more effective and I don't quite understand why, from a scientific standpoint.

How long did you dry hop? I tend to agree with you on the dry hopping to a point. I have dry hopped a couple batches of beer and have felt like I wasted good hops for no reason as the aroma subsided very quickly in the bottle. Where I have had success with dry hopping is with pellet hops. They seem to do the business a bit more than leaf.

Well I have bought some East kent goldings (pellets 50g) they were about £3 on ebay came foil wrapped. I'm going to experiment by making the whole batch, bottle half, then make a hop tea add to the remaining half in the FV leave it a few days then bottle and in a few week open and try both, sound like a plan?

I take it I can add the tea after fermentation? :idea: Can you give me an idea on how much hops I should use for a good hoppy taste? will heating it turn the hops bitter?

Thanks for all your advice folks

How long did you dry hop? I tend to agree with you on the dry hopping to a point. I have dry hopped a couple batches of beer and have felt like I wasted good hops for no reason as the aroma subsided very quickly in the bottle. Where I have had success with dry hopping is with pellet hops. They seem to do the business a bit more than leaf.

Dry hopping for maybe a week or so, after the initial ferment. Share the view that dry hopping is only noticable for a short period - much shorter than the length of time it takes for the beer to be at its best, for me.

Totally agree with the observation regarding pellets. Probably the same as grinding up ingredients to speed up chemical reactions (sorry for the reference to O level Chemistry).

The longer boiling (10 - 15 mins?) will achieve the same result with leaf hops as pelletising, I would imagine, but SWMBO has this strange view that the smell of hops and a kitchen ceiling about to collapse are "bad things". :nono:

I usually dry hop for about a week, my choice of hops is Amarillo for this but there are others equally as good,

You might want to try both methods, dry hop with leaf, also add some hops into a couple of pints of hotish water, leave to cool, strain off and add the liquid for a bit of a taste kick when you open the bottle and start to drink your beer.

good luck

Back