1st effort with Fiery Ginger Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandmasterMM

Reaction score
1st ever posting for me so be gentle and apologies if this topic has arose before but I couldn't be bothered going through all 17 pages of postings. I've been making WOW, in 1 gallon demijohns, for some time now and thought I'd try something different. So out comes the 5 gallon bucket and I've followed the fiery ginger recipe. Left it to ferment out and racked the contents into another bin. However I didn't strain it through a cloth or anything, simply used a food strainer to catch all the big bits. I've left the brew to settle for a bit but noticed that the drink was very cloudy, almost milky. I'm used to getting my wines very clear so is this normal for ginger beer? Should I have strained it more strickly or accept that its a cloudy drink?
Also got on the go a Cooper's Pale Ale kit.

Cloudy is normal, but it will drop clear if left long enough.
I had one of mine yesterday that has been sitting for months - perfectly clear but loads of sediment in the bottle, Just had to be careful pouring but the finished product tastes amazing. :cheers:

Champion! Thanks for that, can't wait to give it a go. I never pre-taste; just wait for the finished article. I need to collect enough plaggy bottles now to bottle the lot so I'll wait to give it some time to settle.
:cheers:

Just logged onto this discussion group for the 1st time in a while and noted my posting. I've still got a few bottles of fiery ginger beer in the garage and note that UT was made in August 2011. Do you think it's will be ok to drink? It's been stored well and it looks alright?

Well, there's only one way to find out! :drink:

Please let us all know.

Cheers

Matt

Still haven't got round to cracking this open, re registered on this forum because I remembered posting just so I could see how old it is, coming up 4 years, still wondering if it'll be ok to drink?

Grandmaster, as Matt suggested, there really is only one way to find out.
I'd suggest standing a bottle in the sink (just in case of an eruption), open it and take a sniff. If it smells ok take a sip. What's the worst that could happen?

Good point but I'm waiting for a night when I'm feeling adventurous, after all it'd be a shame to throw it

Latest posts

Back