Strange behaviour....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all,

My brew (second ever) is behaving in a manner that worries me. When I set it up it soon went absolutely bonkers gurggling away like a flatulent elephant. The fv actually got warmer than the room (up to 25C) and then the foam tried to do a runner out the airlock......

After all that manic activity, 48hrs later its now calmed right down, airlock bubbles once every 10 mins or so....

Is this something to worry about or is this just one of those things newbies panick about for no good reason? :wha:

Thanks!

Sounds like you've had a fast ferment due to the warmer temps. Nothing to worry about, leave it as normal then check gravity's as normal.

Oh bugger.

Just took my FG and kegged at 1.010.

Strange, slightly sour taste though. Bit worried it might be infected. Hopefully its just some diacetal and/or the amarillo/goldings hops... :pray:

Really doesnt taste anything like I'd hoped though. Just hope the keg will do its magic over the next few weeks...

I wouldn't worry unduly, almost every brew I've kegged had some sort of worrying smell / taste and many times I've been convinced I've made vinegar. It's yet to happen, they've all been good. :)

I agree with Parva....My last brew was Norton Hooky. It fermented faster than I ever thought possible. Which was due to the heat!!! When it finished it tasted sour and thin.....However..having bottled it and left it 3 weeks...It tastes just fine..I like yourself worried for nothing :D

So just finish it off. Leave it a few weeks..and it should be fine :cheers:

Hehe. Just drew off a pint to test... its definately not infected! Green as someone with a beard that knits tofu sandals while reading the Independent but in a few weeks it should be a good'un!

Back