Help for a total Newbie! Very active Rhubarb wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad_edgar

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
First time poster here, so hello!
As per the title I am a total beginner to the wine making game. I have an allotment with tons of produce so I thought i would give it a go. Found a really simple rhubarb wine recipe on the Two Thirsty Gardeners website.
All went well, then I plopped the yeast and it went completely mental!
So it was very active and this activity (now it has calmed down a bit) has left a yeast residue around the neck of the demijohn, it went up into the airlock and bubbled out a bit, which I changed a couple of times with a freshly sterilised air lock.
My question is, do i need to be worried about the yeast sitting around the neck of the demijohn? I am concerned it might go mouldy and infect the wine etc.. Is there anything i can do about it?
As it happens the yeast was added four days ago and its still pretty active (bubble every second or so) and fermenting away.

Any advice appreciated.

Oh and the colour of the wine is incredible!

Adam

do i need to be worried about the yeast sitting around the neck of the demijohn? I am concerned it might go mouldy and infect the wine etc.. Is there anything i can do about it?
It's krausen and completely normal and nothing to worry about. Just leave the fermentation to completely complete.

Back