"dead" nog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevander74

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I brewed a woodfordes nog kit to 20litres last wed and added the yeast at 27degrees. At first it seemed inactive then burst into life with a good head of foam. Its been in the fv for 5 days now and has been flat with no signs of life since yesterday. sg was 1.044 and its now at 1.020. I was planning on bottling it of wed but ive read on a few threads(and been given the advice directly) that its better to leave it longer than the instructions say. Ive also read that it could be a good idea to give it a little stir to liven things up. Is this an ok way to move things along? or should i go out and buy more yeast? i only used the kit yeast in the first place and im getting the impression its better to buy a seperate yeast sachet. Why is this?

I had the same thing happen recently with my first brew, a Wherry. Rouse the yeast with a gentle stir and you should find it will get going again.
I have read many threads on stuck fermentation, and it appears that some kits are prone to sticking at 1020, give it a stir first and see how you get on. I'm sure many more experienced brewers will be on here giving you advice.

P.S. I tasted my first brew last night, the Wherry was just fantastic, in fact i was very surprised how good it was. A month in the bottle, not fully cleared yet so im guessing it can only get better.

Best of luck with your brew, i'm sure it will turn out great. :drink:

Steve. If the Nog is like the Wherry then it could be prone to stick at 1.020. Give it A GENTLE STIR just to rouse the wee yeasties. Dont give it a thrashing and intoduce any air at this stage. Make sure that what ever you use to do the stiring has been sterilized. I leave my brews in the Fermenter for 10/14 days before bottling to give it a chance to clear a bit.

Gave the nog a stir last night with a sterilised big spoon, got some bubbles initially but when i checked it this morning it was lifeless again and still at 1.020. need to leave it for a couple of days to settle again now anyway. would it be worthwhile adding more yeast?

Latest posts

Back