Hi from new member and returning brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjp.

Reaction score
Hi all.

Thanks for authenticating my application to join THBF.
Based in London but from NW England.
Did my first lot of kit brewing back in 2012/13 and got really passionate about it. Unfortunately life happens and it fell to the wayside.
Then in 2022 I started growing some grapes in my tiny north facing garden, and started making tiny amounts of wine. One thing led to another and I'm now studying Viticulture & Oenology alongside the day job!
However the love of beer has always been the constant.

I've just started making an MYO IPA from the range for a bit of fun/ get back into the swing of things.
Hoping to get into all grain brewing, which is what I have been using the forum a lot for. So it was about time I joined and not just read posts!
And yes, I'm also growing some of my own hops. It would be nice to use them at the end of the year in my own all grain brews, but that may be getting ahead of myself!

Anyway, that's probably more than anyone cared to know about. So thanks again and look forward to posting as part of the community 👍
(and sorry in advance for any stupid questions, I do try and read up on things first!)

Welcome from another newbie.
I started with a Range BYO last year and have now move don to stove top SMASH. I think I'll stick at this level for a while. Suits my space and pocket. I alternate between a few stove tops and a kit. Stove tops are 10 liters and kits 40.

good luck with your brews

Welcome from another newbie.
I started with a Range BYO last year and have now move don to stove top SMASH. I think I'll stick at this level for a while. Suits my space and pocket. I alternate between a few stove tops and a kit. Stove tops are 10 liters and kits 40.

good luck with your brews
Thanks Matt. I'm such a newbie I didn't even realise there was something called stove top SMASH. Sounds interesting and something I'll look into. If you have any good resources I'd be keen to read into them! athumb..

Thanks Matt. I'm such a newbie I didn't even realise there was something called stove top SMASH. Sounds interesting and something I'll look into. If you have any good resources I'd be keen to read into them! athumb..
Yes, it's a science with lots of new abbreviations to learn.
I'm still on the very lower end of a learning curve, so excuse me for not offering technical advice.
I was tempted to leap forward with the gear purchases but sense prevailed and I limited myself - for now - to grain in a s/steel stove top vessel. Lots of fun and variations with simple gear.

Folks here don't appear to mind the very simple questions fired at them. I guess we all started at square one, once.

Good luck

Yes, it's a science with lots of new abbreviations to learn.
I'm still on the very lower end of a learning curve, so excuse me for not offering technical advice.
I was tempted to leap forward with the gear purchases but sense prevailed and I limited myself - for now - to grain in a s/steel stove top vessel. Lots of fun and variations with simple gear.

Folks here don't appear to mind the very simple questions fired at them. I guess we all started at square one, once.

Good luck

Wise words from a relative newbie, stove top is a great way to brew, quick, easy to clean up and the small brew size means you can do lots of different styles without needing a warehouse to store your beer :laugh8:

We used to regularly go to the Pontins at Southport is the fair still there?
So the pontins closed down very recently completely out the blue.
Pleasureland was sold off probably 15-20 years ago. The site is still a ‘funfair’, but the rides are much more along the lines of a travelling fair ground.

The last 20 years haven’t been too good to Southport to be honest. Although the beer scene did vastly improve at least!

Wise words from a relative newbie, stove top is a great way to brew, quick, easy to clean up and the small brew size means you can do lots of different styles without needing a warehouse to store your beer :laugh8:
Yep it’s something I’m definitely reading into. There’s so much information and so many pages on the forum it’s taking me a wee while to get my head round it all at the moment, enjoying it all though!

Yep just waiting on some stuff arriving to try BIAB, but got a stove top kit from CML to try, a Mexican beer for my son, hope to try and make that in the next few weeks as the advice and guidance on here and youtube have given me the confidence

Yep just waiting on some stuff arriving to try BIAB, but got a stove top kit from CML to try, a Mexican beer for my son, hope to try and make that in the next few weeks as the advice and guidance on here and youtube have given me the confidence
Do you have any recommendations for YouTube channels, and also online stores for kit/ grains?

Latest posts

Back