Isinglass

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bones

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Guys... :cheers:

Have not used Isinglass for many years now as i dont trust the storage at my local HBS....
So i have just been using Gelatine....

I saw this dried stuff at Barley Bottom... Has anybody used it?

image202300x225.jpg

Not heard of that before. To be honest I used to used finings about fifteen years back, but since I've come back to brewing at home I've found I've not needed any.

I've not used one from BB, i get mine fresh from a brewery now but I have used that sort of stuff and its a ROYAL PITA to get it blended smooth.

Wez said:
I've not used one from BB, i get mine fresh from a brewery now but I have used that sort of stuff and its a ROYAL PITA to get it blended smooth.

Not worth getting then Wez?

I've used the dried ribbons according to instructions, but have now found my own way of using it.

Do

Mix it with water as described on the label and keep in the fridge. AFTER 24 hrs put it in a food blender and mix it until smooth, then put it back in the fridge.
Only add to your beer at it's serving temp (ie, 13 deg c) at the recommended dosage and mix well. Strain your IG mixture through a fine stainless tea sieve into your beer, or some other strainer.

Dont's

Do not try to mix in the blender after initially adding the dried ribbons to water, the ribbons won't disssolve.
Do not add to the beer prior to chilling it for serving, it will minimise the effects of the IG.
Try to add the IG to the beer at the same temp at which it will be served, then leave for at least 48 hours, the beer should clear well.

I've followed the instructions on the dried IG leaflets and have found the results wanting. This is how I've achieved the best results with dried IG myself.

Vossy1 said:
I've used the dried ribbons according to instructions, but have now found my own way of using it.

Do

Mix it with water as described on the label and keep in the fridge. AFTER 24 hrs put it in a food blender and mix it until smooth, then put it back in the fridge.
Only add to your beer at it's serving temp (ie, 13 deg c) at the recommended dosage and mix well. Strain your IG mixture through a fine stainless tea sieve into your beer, or some other strainer.

Dont's

Do not try to mix in the blender after initially adding the dried ribbons to water, the ribbons won't disssolve.
Do not add to the beer prior to chilling it for serving, it will minimise the effects of the IG.
Try to add the IG to the beer at the same temp at which it will be served, then leave for at least 48 hours, the beer should clear well.

I've followed the instructions on the dried IG leaflets and have found the results wanting. This is how I've achieved the best results with dried IG myself.

Cheers Vossey :cheers:

Will do as you instructed..
Gonna get a strainer today..
Not used the stuff too much..l. so if i put into cask with priming suger the beer will go bright in 2/3 days?

SO.. I've soaked for 24hrs in fridge... :thumb:
Blended tonight :thumb:
The stuff looks good :thumb:
I dont think i need the strain :wha:
:wha: But the stuff does smell a bit... Is this normal?

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread, but if I used isinglass in my SF would there still be enough yeast in suspension for bottle conditioning?

It shouldn't smell like fish so you're ok on that one. The only smell I get from the stuff is a vague smell of sulphur dioxide, almost nothing at all. However, I smoke so my sense of smell probably isn't what it should be.

But the stuff does smell a bit... Is this normal?
It will smell absolutely aweful, sulphur dioxide as james said, almost vinegary :sick: ...I don't smoke so get the full effect....lucky me :lol:
Sorry to slightly hijack the thread, but if I used isinglass in my SF would there still be enough yeast in suspension for bottle conditioning?
As per jb's advice. A brew can be visably clear yet still contain lots of yeast :thumb:

Hi guys...

Now this is just an experiment....
My last brew was spoilt so i thought i would test the IG before introducing to some good beer.
I added 200ml and the pics here are 24hrs later...
Now in real terms this floating stuff would be in the cask; it dont look good.
I assume this stuff gets compressed under presure and what with gravity this stuff falls to the bottom of the cask in a tight pancake?
P1010235300x225.jpg
P1010234300x225.jpg

After 24 hours I would not be expecting to see those clumps on the surface of your beer. Your pictures show bubbles on the surface which may indicate that fermentation has started again. The C02 given off by the yeast will be 'sticking ' to the IG floccs preventing them from sinking. If this is the case there is every possibility that you will have to re-fine the beer once fermentation has stopped.
I'd leave it a few more days to see what happens before doing anything else :thumb:

Thanks V...
As i said this brew has been spoit its gone sour i am just doing an experiment...
the bubbles are where i stired in the IG i think..
I will give it another day and post another pic.

Back