Adding Hazelnut Extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
For some time now, I have wanted to clone Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. I have the original homebrew recipe and the tweaked Rogue recipe. Trouble is, the extract used in the original no longer exists and the one used by Rogue is not available to buy. Has anyone else cloned this beer and had any success or failure that they could share?

There are so many options for extract online, it is difficult to choose. I contacted Rogue many years ago, asking for advice, but got no response. According to Rogue, they use Northwestern Hazelnut Extract and it is stronger than most other types so you need to use more of a less potent extract. But without a comparison, that doesn't really help.

Can anybody help?

I recommend Lorann Flavourings. One dram bottle does me for 19l. You may want to check a few different concentrations in a glass with beer and scale up.
So one bottle (4oz?) does an entire corny of brown ale and the taste of hazelnut is strong, medium or mild? Have you had the original, for comparison?

So one bottle (4oz?) does an entire corny of brown ale and the taste of hazelnut is strong, medium or mild? Have you had the original, for comparison?

Sorry, meant in general and not specifically for this recipe.

I've used the Foodie Flavours hazelnut before and it was disgusting, so would suggest avoiding that.

OK I have a plan.

I have used various Monin syrups.
They are head and shoulders above a lot of other coffee syrups.

They are a simple syrup, so fermentable. For maths calculation, syrup is 80% w/w contribution of table sugar.

I would prime a couple of bottles with it and see. Before making up the batch.

I like the idea of adding it AFTER main fermentation so the the flavour does not blow away through the airlock.

Last edited:
I seem to recall using Monin hazelnut syrup before and it didn't turn out well. I also bought some artificial flavouring for an imp stout I brewed. I tried adding a few drops to a glass I poured but none of them tasted that great. Perhaps I bought **** stuff but I get the feeling it would be better for the extract to rest in the beer for longer.

I think the original flavouring used in this recipe was a coffee syrup flavouring but I am not totally sure. Those are generally large bottles and I seen the stearn and Lehman's stuff for sale in 30ml bottles about a decade ago. But they were only available in the US.

I think I might add a few ml of extract to the keg and see what happens. I can always add more. Not that I am keen on opening a keg after transfer.

I also can recommend Lorann flavourings, but I have only used the peanut one which is an alcohol based extract. I found that 6ml in the secondary was about right for a 20 litre batch.

The link for the hazelnut one that you posted is for a baking emulsion which might have other stuff in it that doesn’t ferment so well.

Lorann don’t seem to do a plain hazelnut alcohol based extract, but they have creamy hazelnut or chocolate hazelnut which might do. I’ve not tried the recipe that you’re aiming for so I’m not sure what the final flavour should be.

Yes, was having difficulty finding the one dram size in hazelnut. Seen chocolate hazelnut but creamy hazelnut would be a better option.

It'll be going into the secondary, which is the serving keg, and straight into the fridge. So it will not be fermenting. Does that make a difference to the quantity?

Yes, was having difficulty finding the one dram size in hazelnut. Seen chocolate hazelnut but creamy hazelnut would be a better option.

It'll be going into the secondary, which is the serving keg, and straight into the fridge. So it will not be fermenting. Does that make a difference to the quantity?
I don’t think it makes any difference whether it ferments or not (for the alcohol based flavours at least). Just make sure you add a little at a time and keep tasting as it’s easy to go from subtle to overpowering.

I have used MSK flavourings commercially, with good results. They're not the cheapest, but the results were always good and they go a long way. Use the Flavour burst versions, as the others provide little more than an aroma and make sure it's water based, not oil based. I used to find 20ml was sufficient for a 30 l keg, but depends on the flavour and desired outcome.

Latest posts

Back