Overnight mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
So as not to upset Evanvines 'mash n boil poll', I'll ask the question here ....

Overnight mash, been considering it along with 60 min boil the following day :hmm:

So overnight mash, how do you do yours and any observations :?:

Just like a normal mash with the strike water left on the grains overnight.
Next morning as I batch sparge, the brew gets a good stir and first lot of sparge water added. and on we go.
Breaks the brew up nicely for me and I'm boiling a lot earlier in the day and consequently finished a lot earlier.

I BIAB with a plastic boiler,

I dough in lag the boiler and go to bed. The next morning I take the lad to school then return, heat some water in a stock pot for a sparge dunk, unpack the boiler and get on with it.

My setup loses about 0.5C per hour with the cylinder jacket and insulating foam.
Here is a recent brew

Only done one over-night mash but it worked well and saved loads of time the following day. Will be doing the same next brew day.

I mash as normal but cover with tinfoil, then loads of bubble wrap to minimise air space. Then close it all up and then wrap the mash tun in blankets etc. The following day check the temp of the mash,if it has lost loads then I sparge hotter perhaps 88c to compensate, as if the run off is to cold then you won't wash all the sugars out.
:thumb:

That seems to work for me. :thumb:

Yet another option which i tried once due to lack of time was mash as normal (for me this might be around 2.5/3hrs as decoction and step temps are involved ) and sparge then boil the following day , but i won't be doing this again unless i have to as i was worried about infection etc .

pittsy said:
Yet another option which i tried once due to lack of time was mash as normal (for me this might be around 2.5/3hrs as decoction and step temps are involved ) and sparge then boil the following day , but i won't be doing this again unless i have to as i was worried about infection etc .
Wouldn't the boil kill any nasties :wha:

Thanks for the replies, pretty much as I expected and might well give it a go :thumb:

joey1002 said:
pittsy said:
Wouldn't the boil kill any nasties :wha:

I would think there would be no problem frm nasties, you're boiling the wort so anything 'getting in overnight' would be killed off in the boil :thumb:

:hmm: check the taste then before you boil :idea: and try and make sure its well 'sealed' covered etc to keep the fekkers out beforehand :roll:

My AG#1 was poor, the element in my boiler would cut out @96C so Pico sent me a new one 1st class and I boiled the wort the following day (about 30 hours later) during which time it cooled to room temperature in a FV and I reckon that some nasties got to work between boils.

Latest posts

Back