Short Mash / Short Boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowe1992

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morning folks,

It's now a full two days since my third AG brew, so I'm naturally knee deep planning my next, which will likely be a double brew, possibly with some liquoring back in the FV. The aim being to fill my corny in time for Christmas with only an 11.5L stock pot at my disposal.

Weekends are getting busy, so I was thinking of how to shorten a double brew day as much as I can. I've seen a lot on 30 min mashes and 30 min brews, but was surprised to find a recipe on CML for a blonde ale brewed with a 20 minute mash / 20 min boil. Surprisingly, they called it 20:20. It's broadly in keeping with the style I'll brew next, which will probably be a pale ale / blonde with a bunch of late / dry hop additions (Cascade, Citra, Centennial, Chinook).

I'm thinking I'll likely go for a 30 minute mash, 30 minute boil, but it got me to thinking..
What are the shortest mashes / boils people have done and got decent results?

I'm guessing if any styles are suited to this, it would be hop forward styles with simpler/lighter grain bills?

As long as you crush the malts finely, you can get away with 45/45 or even 30/30. I wouldn't take it down to 20/20 unless you enjoy poor brewhouse efficiency. You could compensate for this by using a lot of extra malt. You'll end up with more haze the shorter you go. Which may or may not be a problem, e.g., for hazy IPA, hefeweizen, etc.

Back