Formal Intro

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftyZA

Reaction score
Hi All.
I'm from south africa. I've lurked a bit, and made a few random posts/replies. Just thought it is time to properly introduce myslef.

I have a slight obsession with beer. esp Belgian beer.
Those funky sour gueze lambics (not the fruity stuff), strong browns, dubels, tripels, trappist and then also some english barleywines. There are also a couple of dutch beers I enjoy, and every week I have a few bitters and esb's. Only ESB available in SA is Hobgoblin. We got Fullers as well recently, but I enjoy HG more.

The local brewing forum in SA is dying so decided to look for a bigger forum to call my home.
I've now got all the equipment sourced for AG brewing. All I need to wait for is some financial recovery after the holidays. January is going to be a loooooong dry month.

Some beers I plan for this year:
an English barleywine. 180L of it. this will be a colab between myself and a commercial brewer that lives close to me. We are going to age it for 3 months in an old brandy barrel. After that it will go into champagne bottles to condition for an additional year with fresh yeast. It will be mashed very hot. 68.8 or 68.9 degrees. Also planned ABV for it is 11.5%.

Then a gueze Lambic. Will basically make a wheat beer, ferment initially with MJ M26/7 (saison yeast), then rack and then add some Lacto, Pedio, and Bret, and let it stand in my cupboard for a year. Planned ABV is between 8 and 9%

Final fancy beer will be an imperial baltic porter. Not too complicated. Hot mash, and bottle condition for a year with planned abv of 9-10%
Might split this one into 2 batches, and give one of them bret, and leave the other one as is. 2 x 10L batches.

The fancy beers will cost a lot of money, and I will not taste any of them in 2017. Some might only be drinkable in 2019.
So while I wait for them, this is what I will do for the thirst.

I want to do bunch of bitters/ESB's. Not like fullers. I'm looking for something like Old Crafty Hen or Hobgoblin. Planned abv 5 - 5.5%
for Bitters I want abv at 2.5 - 3%. That way I can have it for breakfast on a saturday with some bacon and eggs.

Between those some pilsners and lagers low abv for our hot south african summer.

That's me in a nutshell.

Welcome in! Belgian beers are my favourite too, but I haven't tried to make any of those styles yet. Will be watching with interest :thumb:

I have a slight obsession with beer. esp Belgian beer.

You should fit in well around here then :thumb:

Sound like some pretty ambitious brewing plans but also sound like you know what you're doing! Good luck with it and will be interested in hearing how it all goes :)

Welcome to the forum.It looks like your well clued in with an ambitious schedule like that.Hope all works to plan as there are some long term ones there.Have yet to try sours or any Belgians but I am planning a stout which shall be fermented with a wholemeal sour dough starter yeastcurrently in the fridge and hope to get round to that shortly.:thumb:

Welcome. I like you plans. What is the scene like in SA? Easy to source ingredients etc?

I can get most malts from Castle and Bestmaltz etc Yeasts are also fairly common. Can get most mangrove jacks yeast, then things like safale, saflager etc. Where it gets hard is to get my hands on liquid yeast like Whitelabs. Special specimens like bacterias/speciality yeasts like bret is harder. There is a supplier that places an order for those once a year. I'm ordering end of this month. for the 23L batch of Gueze. and some extra brett that will not go to waste. Anyone ever though about an imperial bitter with brett? haha.
I will find work for it.
Hops are comon as well. I mostly focus on some european hops like hallertau, pearl, etc and some english ones i like fugles and east kent. Every brew shop will have the comon ones.

Currently it is a bit of a drive to get to the suppliers. About 35km
However, one of the suppliers will be opening a shop 2km from my house. Cannot wait. He is also the one that imports the white labs stuff on reuqst once a year.

Sound like some pretty ambitious brewing plans but also sound like you know what you're doing!

Lets hope so. I've brewed a couple of hundred liters of beer the last year, with only 2 batches thats gone bad. Both was my fault. Got arrogant with the cleansing and sanitizing. One I filled a kit beer with a housepipe and garden spray fitting. not very clean at all. The other I used bleach (Milton) as no-rinse and ended up with 45 bottles of TCP/Elastoplast flavoured beer.
Other than those 2, its been pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back