years ago

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
remembering years ago
going into a pup and ordering a pint with a lemonade top a lager and lime
also a lager and blackcurrant
so thinking of doing a lager kit then last three days in the fv add about 1lb of mashed up blackcurrants so with a bit of luck I will have a nice brew
any tips on this

remembering years ago
going into a pup and ordering a pint with a lemonade top a lager and lime
also a lager and blackcurrant
so thinking of doing a lager kit then last three days in the fv add about 1lb of mashed up blackcurrants so with a bit of luck I will have a nice brew
any tips on this
I'm sure having sex with dogs is now illegal (except if your a conservative):lol:

I would be very careful with that amount of blackberries as the residual sweetness and tartness coming from them maybe overpowering.I would assume they are frozen and the flavour shall already be a lot more concentrated due too the enzymes already being broken down whilst freezing.
What you could do is make a syrup reduction and use this to sweeten your beer in the secondary FV and also let you control the sweetness to your taste by adding smaller amounts to you get the desired taste.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

no I'm not a northerner the furthest north I have lived is Watford in the high street above a barber shop

Watford? youre a Northerner by my standards.

The blackcurrant or lime is just cordial added to normal lager. Why not just do that?

Personally the only one like that I ever drank was when I was 16/17 I used to drink snake bite and black and pernod. You basically get a pint of snakebite (with strong lager and cider) and pour a pernod and black into it. I used to have to give the bar staff guarantees that I wouldnt throw up.

Personally, my advice would be "Don't do it!"

There was a reason why everyone drank Lager & Lime, Lager & Black or Lager Tops back in the 60's & 70's. :thumb:

On its own, the lager tasted sh!te! :doh:

The worse bit about Lager & Lime was that the rank smell of the lime juice lingered until the following morning! :whistle:

Nowadays, I prefer to brew and drink a lager that is palatable without additions! :thumb:

There was a reason why everyone drank Lager & Lime, Lager & Black or Lager Tops back in the 60's & 70's. :thumb:

The worse bit about Lager & Lime was that the rank smell of the lime juice lingered until the following morning! :whistle:

Nowadays, I prefer to brew and drink a lager that is palatable without additions! :thumb:

+1. Yep...that's as I remember life in the 60's/70's. Amazingly, lagers back then were even more dire than they are today. Adding pretty much anything improved the taste. That was why we added lime or blackcurrent.
If your lager is good enough to drink without stuff added......I'd leave it unadulterated. :nono:As others say, why not add lime juice or Ribena to taste when you come to drink it.? You get a choice that way :thumb:

I was in a bar in Tasmania some years ago and there was an American drinking 50/50 beer and orange juice. If it had been Fosters I could understand, but the beer in Tasmania is probably the best in Australia.

Incoming!!!!!

Lager, as brewed in this country still does Dutto, things have not changed
Cheers

A couple of things, if you're going to introduce anything into your FV that didn't come vac packed then you should be looking to boil it first. As I understand it wild yeast spores have evolved breeding on sugary fruit so a 15m boil would be my minimum. Secondly, if you add sugary fruit into your FV that'll kick off a secondary fermentation and you won't be able to bottle until that completes. If you got some full sugar lime and black current cordial you could leave 1/3 as is and prime with sugar, the other individual thirds prime with the cordials, a 3 in 1 brew.

He is planning on doing a kit lager, so lime or blackcurrent may well be a good idea.

He is planning on doing a kit lager, so lime or blackcurrent may well be a good idea.

Definitely if the instructions on the tin are followed ... :doh:

... but last year I pimped a Coopers Lager Kit as follows:

o Started 23rd August with 950g Golden Syrup + 50g of Fuggles hop pellets.
o Pitched Youngs Lager Yeast at 23 degrees & fermented at 21 degrees.
o Racked to second FV on 1st September 2016.
o Lagered at 10 degrees from 1st September to 8th November.
o Bottled in flip-tops 8th November 2016

It took a few weeks to carbonate but was a really nice drink that definitely didn't need anything to hide the taste.

This year I am doing an AG version. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back