Stalled fermentation? John Palmer's Pale Ale recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alptraum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've recently decided to make a foray back into brewing with a good deal more background reading this time, and after having read the John Palmer How To Brew book cover to cover as well as other sources on the internet, decided to go ahead and make the pale ale recipe detailed in there. However, my yeast seems to be doing something odd - I used Safale S-04 as the yeast, and when it was put in warm water to rehydrate, it foamed. However, when I proofed it with a teaspoon of malt extract (which apparently is not necessary, I read afterwards :oops: ) it seemed to die down. I thought I would chance it, and pitched the yeast into the wort - but after about a day of ridiculously frantic fermentation, it's now slowed to basically nothing.

Anyone got any thoughts on what's up? Should I pitch another packet into the fermenter?
The other thing was, despite boiling the wort for a good 20-30 mins, I saw no hot break - no particles of coagulated garbage floating around, just a bit less foam on the surface. I assumed it was fine, threw in the bittering hops (12 AAU cascade) and started the timer. Is this to be expected or have I, err... ballsed it up?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys!!

EDIT: I've checked, it is going, but very slowly...

Did you get a gravity reading at the start? If so what was it. Take another one now too. Carefully with sterilised equipment. It may have just eaten through the bulk of the sugar already and is just quietly working away on the last bit.

Hi, thanks for the reply :thumb: the starting gravity was about 1.045, is it OK to just crack the top of the fermenter and drop the (sterilised!) hydrometer in there? I don't have a sample jar sadly....

Alptraum said:
Hi, thanks for the reply :thumb: the starting gravity was about 1.045, is it OK to just crack the top of the fermenter and drop the (sterilised!) hydrometer in there? I don't have a sample jar sadly....

I do this a lot, infact I often leave a hydrometer in the brew throughout. So I just have a peak to give me an indication.

I think that yeast clinging to the hydro may affect the reading slightly but it gives me a rough estimate of what is going on.

The only way to know if fermentation is working is with a hydrometer. I don't peak in my FV at all (I take samples from the tap) and it often doesn't look like anything is happening but the hydrometer always shows the fermentation is doing just fine.

Latest posts

Back