INFECTION ????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6.3% would give me a headache whether fusel or not I am with Mashbag
But @Mash Monster is brewing a clone of Hazy Jane, which presumably doesn't have fusel off flavour in the commercial version, and should be perfectly achievable.

This brew 25L I used 1 pkt of US-05 (says it good for 20-30L on the pkt )
I think the fusel alcohol was there in the first 2 brews but only just detectable .
Personally, I would ignore that and use a pitch rate calculator. This one from Lallemand is good, and suggests you pitched around 60% the yeast you needed.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/brewers-corner/brewing-tools/pitching-rate-calculator/
https://beerandbrewing.com/how-yeast-pitching-rates-affect-beer-fermentation/

6.3% would give me a headache whether fusel or not I am with Mashbag @ 4% session beer the only problem is getting the body the same if you were to drop the ingredients to produce a lower SG.
Did you have temp fluctuation in the fermentation or go above the yeast spec. I have gone higher temp on the odd yeast but not dramatically and never had a fusel as of yet maybe just been lucky
Nope temperature control 20°c for the first 7 days then raised to 21°c which is my normal practise US-05 ideal temp range 15-22°c

Thanks for your thoughts. Do you think the length of the mash would impact significantly on the conversion of sugars? The reason I ask is that the original recipe calls for only a 25 minute mash @ 66°c . On both previous brews I mashed for 45 mins. However this time I think I reverted to my default 60 minutes mash which was 66°c +/- 1°c .
Was your recipe from the Brewdog book? That tome is full of errors and typos. Stick to your usual 45/60 mins mash.

If struggling yeast is creating fusel off flavours, making a less fermentable wort by shorting mash time, won't be making the job any easier for it.

DIYDog is probably correct with 25'. Alpha Dog recipe is the same. However, this is what BD do on BD scale of production, where doughing in, lautering and reaching the boil takes longer than it does doing 25L of homebrew. There's no mash out, so enzymatic activity will be ongoing for longer than 25'. Which is why they get 86% attenuation, which is high for a Chico strain.

I'd stick with 45'. And check you've got full conversion with an iodine test, as it looks like you're also missing the recipes OG of 1.065.

Last edited:
That's a good, good point you make there. We don't know if the BD recipes have been fully converted for home use.

I recall reading a couple and thinking... Really???

Last edited:
DIYDog is probably correct with 25'. Alpha Dog recipe is the same. However, this is what BD do on BD scale of production, where doughing in, lautering and reaching the boil takes longer than it does doing 25L of homebrew. There's no mash out, so enzymatic activity will be ongoing for longer than 25'. Which is why they get 86% attenuation, which is high for a Chico strain.

I'd stick with 45'. And check you've got full conversion with an iodine test, as it looks like you're also missing the recipes OG of 1.065.
Yes the recipe is a slightly watered down version to achieve a 6 - 6.2 % ABV
SG of 1.065 gives a 7.2% beer.
There is no way I could shift 19L of 7.2% and the style isn’t really suitable for bottling.
Good point about the iodine test it’s something I always used to do but have stopped recently as I usually hit the numbers .

Latest posts

Back