Blowoff Hose?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adajam4

Reaction score
I have bought the ingredients for my Xmas stout which I am hoping to end up with 23L in my 30L FV. Do I need a blowoff hose for this? Or should I be ok? If I were to dabble in one, what is the dimension of the airlock for the tubing I would need? I am hoping my S - Lock will be fine.

Well..
I rapidly needed one for my current brew..I used a two piece handy airlock from wilko, removed the lid, got my only spare bit of tube which was part of a basic syphon kit, and pulled it off the syphon cane. The tube wouldn't fit over the internal tube of the airlock even by heating in boiling water so I cut a short spigot off the syphon cane to join them..an empty pop bottle with some starSan solution completes it. The s type airlock is woefully inadequate for vigorous fermentation. ..you also need something to stand your fv in like a tray or trug as the lid can burst off!

Cheers

Clint

....... The tube wouldn't fit over the internal tube of the airlock even by heating in boiling water ........

Daft little tip this!

If you cut the flexible tube at a fairly steep angle it makes it much easier to fit it over a wider rigid tube; especially after plunging the flexible tube into boiling water! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I cut the bottom off an airlock heated the syphon tube and inserted the non tapered end into it leaving enough of the tapered end sticking out to make a good seal in the FV lid grommet.

Latest posts

Back