Best storage for ingredients

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderwoman

Regular.
Reaction score
What's the best way to store the grains and hops? I've put the hops in the fridge and am looking for a suitable box to keep the grains in. I guess the best thing would be one that seals it up as well as possible, so no moisture can creep in but I'm not sure where to look for such thing. I'd like to keep it in the garage (at least as long as it's cold out there in winter) but I am not sure how dry the garage is as we used to have damp issues which may or may not be resolved now. :drink:

I use zip lock bags from Sainsbury's. Squeeze all the air out of the bag of grain, put this into the zip lock bag and squeeze the air out again. It's not an air tight seal, but it's good enough for me. I then put these in a plastic box in the shed. Not had any issues with the grain going damp or rodents yet.

Hops go in the freezer, same as above. Squeeze the air out of the foil bag, put in zip lock, squeeze again.

I get bags from the local pound shop that you can suck the air out of with a hoover, then seal shut. Then they go into my buckshee mango barrels. That's for the grain, hops in ziplock bags in freezer.

Oh cool I didn't know that hops are Best kept in the freezer. I'll have to see about the zip lock bags. I've got two bigger bags of grains. How x are your hoover bags? We've got some for keeping bedding in but themselves quite quickly

The shop I get them from sells medium and large. Large will easily fit a 25kg bag of grain, the medium I reckon will take 10kg. I haven't had one let air in yet, but they are cheap so I am more surprised than not on that score.

Latest posts

Back