Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Equipment Discussion > Ace micro brewer

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 19-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #211
soupdragon

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Maybe that's related to the element failures that people have reported? Lots of cycling, more chance on element failures? Clutching at straws with that really

Cheers. Tom

Old 19-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #212
shepp

Liked 210 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 204

I don't think that would wreck the elements that quickly, if at all.

Old 23-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #213
soupdragon

I'm not electrically minded so don't fully understand the technical side of it but I'd rather not take the chance. After several years of boiling a stock pot on a gas hob I'm more than happy to watch the Ace boiling the nuts out of the wort

Cheers. Tom

Old 23-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #214
shepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
I'm not electrically minded so don't fully understand the technical side of it but I'd rather not take the chance. After several years of boiling a stock pot on a gas hob I'm more than happy to watch the Ace boiling the nuts out of the wort

Cheers. Tom
All that switching under load is the bigger issue with the contacts wearing out.

Old 23-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #215
AndrewsBrew

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepp View Post
All that switching under load is the bigger issue with the contacts wearing out.
I had a greenhouse heater like that. Once I replaced the burnt out thermostat, I put a RC contact suppressor across the contacts on the replacement and it has been fine for a number of years since.
shepp Likes This 
Old 23-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #216
shepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsBrew View Post
I had a greenhouse heater like that. Once I replaced the burnt out thermostat, I put a RC contact suppressor across the contacts on the replacement and it has been fine for a number of years since.
That's a good idea

Old 24-05-2017, 06:40 AM   #217
soupdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsBrew View Post
You're talking a foreign language now

Cheers. Tom
ElvisIsBeer Likes This 
Old 07-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #218
soupdragon

Has anybody else had an element failure yet or is it (hopefully) just the two reported here so far?

Cheers. Tom

Old 20-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #219
appositive

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hi MP, Thanks for this info, apologies for not having got back to you earlier.

In the end I returned the whole unit to hifitrading at their Berlin location. They have been incredibly easy to deal with. They rapidly accepted the return request and paid for the return shipping in full. I followed the return of the item via UPS tracking and, within 24 hours of having received it, they sent me an email to tell me that they can either ship me a new unit or provide a full refund. I requested a new unit, it arrived today (about a week after they received the broken unit).

Haven't unpacked it yet, but will do so and give it a water-boiling test run this weekend.

So... my experience with hifitrading (which I believe is the same company as retails directly through the klarstein website) has been very positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkpancake View Post
Hi mate! What I would do is call Ian @ Ace Trading. Shoot him an email after your phone call detailing your issues. They can send the parts out separately and I've been told is about $135 US (from the manufacturer). So I don't know what it will cost for you. Ace phone number is 01977 798888 and email is sales@aceuktrading.com

The only reason why I know this stuff is that I talked to the manufacturer directly and I'm sure it helped influence ACE's decision. Considering you bought from another retailer he may not help. Regardless, I know you can get the kettle separately, I bet your retailer might have access too!

I'm going to fix the broken kettle(scrape thermal paste, replace element) and make a video for everyone down the road. Partly because, I drilled the holes perfectly on this one and the new replaced one I kinda screwed up so it doesn't look as good
mgkpancake Likes This 
Old 21-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #220
RobShamrock

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Well, broke in my Microbrewery on Saturday, was a bit of a mare of a brew day to be honest. Was bloody too hot to begin with, was slightly hungover from a night on the tiles from friday night.
Probably should have given it a skip. Had a big problem with my shed electrics it kept tripping the switch, so with the heat and the hangover and having to reset the settings each time, I'm not expecting much from the brew. Also aimed for 16l mash 16l sparge
but the mash seemed really thick so added some kettle water to thin in. Had some problems with the recirc pump to trying to get flow right, so I struggled alot.

Used a hop spider for the pellets and it didnt work to well with lots of hop sediment in the boiler, too ages to cooll down, then I'd tons of sediment and was afraid to use the tap so syphoned off to fermenter so suffered a good bit of lose.

Packed up into fridge fermenter after yeast pitch and check the following morning, I'd set the inkbird to wrong temp!!. Set to 17c instead of 20c. Upped temp and hoped for best, I've checked since and its taken off got a fine krausen etc. Not bothered doing a reading on it yet too soon.

All in all a bit of a disaster. I'll try again in couple weeks and hope for better results all round
mgkpancake Likes This