Rye beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a go at the Rye Porter today, very nice and has all the hallmarks of a porter taste wise but a few areas for improvement. The head disappeared very quick and although it seems quite fizzy on pouring it seems very flat once the froth has gone, perhaps this will improve with time but might try something instead of t.wheat next time. The rye is not obvious and I think although it probably contributes some depth to the flavour it needs more in a dark beer like this to come through as a clear taste. Generally I think I would like a little bit more fullness not sure if more dark malts or a different yeast perhaps might be the answer there. All that said it's still quite early so hopefully it will mature a bit!

image.jpg

Just had another bottle of the porter today (second to last unfortunately!) and its a real object lesson in what extended conditioning can do. It has changed quite a bit since the initial tastings and has very much improved. Head hangs around a bit better now and the taste is much richer and has a lovely liquorice flavour now which I think has come through from the crystal rye. At first I thought it was short on bittering but now I'm not so sure, its lost a bit of sweetness and seems more balanced now. Might have to get a batch on so its ready for xmas!

Having a go at doing a rye variation of the Dr Smurtos Ale that I did a partial mash of a while ago, this time though its a full 23L Ag batch I will be doing using my new BIAB kit from HBC! The recipe is as follows based this on a variation from Dr Smurto himself here:

http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11013

Anyway my recipe will be as follows

2.6kg MO
0.95kg Vienna/Munich
0.95kg Rye
0.3kg Caramunich II

14g Admiral @ 60
20g Amarillo @ 20
20g Amarillo @ 0
40g Amarillo @ 5 days dry hop

IBUs 32
SRM 9L
OG 1.046
FG 1.009
ABV 5%

Yeast US05

I tried a rye ale for the first time at my local Youngs pub a few weeks ago. I found the spicy after taste a bit weird. Not sure if I would have another pint of it or actually make a rye beer

Rye beers use different amounts of rye malt. 10-15% makes a tasty contribution I think. I really like crystal rye and roasted rye in dark beers. Around 5%.

I tried a rye ale for the first time at my local Youngs pub a few weeks ago. I found the spicy after taste a bit weird. Not sure if I would have another pint of it or actually make a rye beer

Try Adnams Crystal Rye IPA or the Tescos Revisionist Rye Pale Ale these are very good and the rye is a bit more subtle. The amounts I have put in the recipes here havent given too much of an overpowering spiciness its quite in the background really but maybe its just my tastebuds being ****!

Rye beers use different amounts of rye. 10-15% makes a tasty contribution I think. I really like crystal rye and roasted rye in dark beers.

:thumb: The crystal rye in my porter added a great liquorice flavour but unfortunately I drank most of it before this taste really came through :doh:

Thanks for the insight chaps. I think Youngs might have over done it with the rye then. Its tasted like what I imaging a chilli beer would be like. It had a very pronounced spicyness as an aftertaste

Was down UBrew earlier buy grain and had a try of some rye saison. Was really refreshing, not at all spicy. Didn't know if I would like saison but I think I might have a go at making one. Will have to wait till next summer now though

Thanks for the insight chaps. I think Youngs might have over done it with the rye then. Its tasted like what I imaging a chilli beer would be like. It had a very pronounced spicyness as an aftertaste

Can't believe any commercial would have overdone the ingredients :shock:

unless rye is cheaper :-D

Was down UBrew earlier buy grain and had a try of some rye saison. Was really refreshing, not at all spicy. Didn't know if I would like saison but I think I might have a go at making one. Will have to wait till next summer now though

what are their prices like and would I get dumped in the thames for asking if they had any DME? - I'm in london wed-thu and thought about popping in.

what are their prices like and would I get dumped in the thames for asking if they had any DME? - I'm in london wed-thu and thought about popping in.

There prices are about the same as online price (but obviously not P&P). I bought 3kg of MO, 350g of crystal and 175g of choccy for about ��£6 - can't remember exactly how much ��£6 something. They sell DME for ��£6/kg as they offer extract brewing as well as AG. Dunno about hops though as I always buy online. You have to wait about a bit while they crush the grain(if that's what you want) but they're much busier on the weekends than in the week

dunno if it's open in the week but you could also pop into the kernal brewery as it's about 5 mins walk away

They will have known what they wanted. Some people will like it.

Reckon it might have been made exclusively for that particular Youngs pub because it is opposite Peckham Rye (a large open green - supposedly where William Blake had visions of Angels.They have a lovely room/bar upstairs called the Blake Room.)

Rye Saison you say :hmm: got a recipe?

Latest posts

Back