Kentucky Common

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thinking out loud, if these were traditionally in wooden barrels, then would the bung stave not act like a blow off valve?
So Im thinking that a PRV as your primary blow off with your spunding valve set at 5psi higher acting as a backup just incase the PRV fails would keep it more in line with the style.

Im thinking that just using the Spunding valve would be the same process that we already use to ferment and serve from a single pressure fermenter.

Secondly what would the serving temperature be to keep it true to style. warmer it is the greater the pressure needed to achieve specific volumes of co2 . So if this is being served warmer you could in theory get away with a bit more pressure in your keg.

i may be wrong.

I have a packet of Nottingham on hand so that's a good should. I found another recipe recommending wyeast 1007, but that seems like it's probably gonna have the same sort of issues. I dunno. I'll probably brew this a few times and try a few different yeasts. I have the Nottingham on hand, so I think I'll go that route.
Nottingham will not disappoint.

From a time to drink, if you run it at a steady 20c, you could be bottling day 5 or 6. Bottle warm, straight into warm, dosed bottles. Bingo.

Just thinking out loud, if these were traditionally in wooden barrels, then would the bung stave not act like a blow off valve?
So Im thinking that a PRV as your primary blow off with your spunding valve set at 5psi higher acting as a backup just incase the PRV fails would keep it more in line with the style.

Im thinking that just using the Spunding valve would be the same process that we already use to ferment and serve from a single pressure fermenter.

Secondly what would the serving temperature be to keep it true to style. warmer it is the greater the pressure needed to achieve specific volumes of co2 . So if this is being served warmer you could in theory get away with a bit more pressure in your keg.

i may be wrong.

Excellent suggestions, I like the prv suggestion.
what I'm getting from this is youre suggesting the racking step could be omitted. I agree in principle and will likely do that on the second brew just to see what if any differences there might be. I'm planning to serve at 8-10c.

Nottingham will not disappoint.

From a time to drink, if you run it at a steady 20c, you could be bottling day 5 or 6. Bottle warm, straight into warm, dosed bottles. Bingo.
Yeah bud. That's pretty much the plan. I'm gonna do a sort of stepped ferment I guess? Just to imitate the historic conditions.
36 hours or so at 20c
7 Days or so at 14-15c
Keg and Serve at 8-10c

Latest posts

Back