Chaucer brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clarityferm is not a yeast, you still need yeast. I've made two beers with it for a coeliac friend, it was very successful. But your friend sounds more sensitive.

Clarityferm is not a yeast, you still need yeast. I've made two beers with it for a coeliac friend, it was very successful. But your friend sounds more sensitive.

You've just had me rolling around the floor laughing at the thought of Steve being "sensitive"!

I appreciate that you are thinking "sensitive" in the coeliac sense (which he is) but this is the man who opened his door to find a man he didn't recognise standing on his doorstep.

"Can I help you?" Steve asked.

"Are you Steve **** ?" asked the man.

"Yes." said Steve.

"You are a *******!" said the man "I will teach you to have sex with my wife!" and proceeded to attack Steve with some vigour.

Defending himself valiantly Steve managed to ask "Which one is your wife?"

The man stopped dead as he thought of the ramifications of this question.

"How many are there?" he asked.

"Depends on where we are talking about. In the village three but if you go out of the village then over a dozen. Where are you from?"

The man shook his head as if Steve had hit him with a hammer so Steve carried on with "I hope you appreciate that it takes two people to have an affair, so I suggest that you go home and talk to your wife!" The man walked away shaking his head and sobbing.

Steve later told me "I almost asked him not to upset his wife by telling her about the other women but I though better of it." :lol: :lol:

Sensitive he ain't!! :thumb: :thumb:

Maybe the gluten intolerance is his comeuppance. The wrath of God. :lol:

Here's a literal interpretation of your brief.

We're going with Chaucer. If Chaucer drank any beer with hops in, it would have been imported from Bremen/Hamburg rather than brewed in England and it would probably have been the Koyt beer style since, it seems, this was what they were exporting.

More hops than you'd expect but, you know, it's the point really.

The Miller's Ail
O.G:
1065. F.G: 1013
Grist: (EBC: 13)

3.250 Kg malted oats (52%)
2 Kg Dark wheat malt (32%)
1 Kg Vienna Malt (16%)
Hop Bill: (IBU: 38)
60 mins 20g each, Pilgrim & Progress.
15 mins 20g of each
Flame out: 20g of each.
Edit: Yeast: ale yeast (I input Danstar Nottingham)

I Dare You. :twisted:

Whers's this recipe from by the way ?

Nice.

I appear to have made up the word Whers's.

I'm quite interested in brewing history so I did some research on what kind of hopped beer was available when Chaucer was alive, the recipe "progressed" from there. It was intended as a bit of a joke really but I'm quite interested in it now.

The style calls for malted oat/wheat/barley in the ratio 3:2:1. It seems there will be a fair amount of haze. The malts were chosen to get the right colour but the software I use consistently turns out beer that is darker than I expected so, if you actually made this, you might like to change that. The hop bill is more or less arbitrary, I expected you would alter it to something you're more used to in terms of how much, when you add the late hops and whether you flame out hop and/or dry hop. The style should be a lot less IBU but I didn't think there was much point in that, given the hops were the reason for making it in the first place.

Using a lot of oats can lead to stuck mashes, so if you made it and intended to fly sparge, rather than batch sparge, you might like to look into giving the mash a beta-glucanase rest.

Something I omitted from my recipe is the brewhouse efficiency is 80%, again, if you did make this beer you might want to take that into account.

I'm quite interested in brewing history so I did some research on what kind of hopped beer was available when Chaucer was alive, the recipe "progressed" from there. It was intended as a bit of a joke really but I'm quite interested in it now.

The style calls for malted oat/wheat/barley in the ratio 3:2:1. It seems there will be a fair amount of haze. The malts were chosen to get the right colour but the software I use consistently turns out beer that is darker than I expected so, if you actually made this, you might like to change that. The hop bill is more or less arbitrary, I expected you would alter it to something you're more used to in terms of how much, when you add the late hops and whether you flame out hop and/or dry hop. The style should be a lot less IBU but I didn't think there was much point in that, given the hops were the reason for making it in the first place.

Using a lot of oats can lead to stuck mashes, so if you made it and intended to fly sparge, rather than batch sparge, you might like to look into giving the mash a beta-glucanase rest.

Something I omitted from my recipe is the brewhouse efficiency is 80%, again, if you did make this beer you might want to take that into account.

I'm probably going to swap the vienna for biscuit as I already have some of that. I'm also thinking of just using pilgrim and then doing a different Pilgrim Progress later.

I'm probably going to swap the vienna for biscuit as I already have some of that. I'm also thinking of just using pilgrim and then doing a different Pilgrim Progress later.

:thumb:

Please report back. It'll be a while before I'm out of stock and need to re-order, postage is too expensive for ad-hoc ordering.

Being a manager at our local watermill, I write an article about our activities at the mill for the local parish magazine titled the Millers tale, a name suggested by the editor when I didn't title my first article, after reading this thread with its Chaucer comments I looked it up for the first time and I now realise why people have commented that they were surprised it was about the mill :doh:

Being a manager at our local watermill, I write an article about our activities at the mill for the local parish magazine titled the Millers tale, a name suggested by the editor when I didn't title my first article, after reading this thread with its Chaucer comments I looked it up for the first time and I now realise why people have commented that they were surprised it was about the mill :doh:

Ok. So I've bought Pilgrims Progress, Canterbury Tales, 4kg of 'crushed' oats, 2kg of medium wheat, and some biscuit malt. I put the quotes around the word crushed above as it is more like bruised than crushed. Apparently oats are a pain to crush. Wonder what the mash efficiency is going to be like.

Ok. So I've bought Pilgrims Progress, Canterbury Tales, 4kg of 'crushed' oats, 2kg of medium wheat, and some biscuit malt. I put the quotes around the word crushed above as it is more like bruised than crushed. Apparently oats are a pain to crush. Wonder what the mash efficiency is going to be like.

Am I missing something here? You're using oats instead of base malt?

Read this:

Brewday:
http://ryanbrews.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/100-oat-malt-mt-rainier-hops-smash-beer.html?m=1

Review:
http://ryanbrews.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/100-oat-malt-mt-rainier-hops-smash-beer.html?m=1

80% efficiency apparently with 100% oat malt.

I realize that but the brupaks grain guide, which I usually use as my quick reference go to, says you can only use a maximum of 5%. Which is obviously wrong going by the links you've posted

What's right and wrong? If you're an anarchist? :twisted:

The guy made that beer to see what happened, by the look of it, and said it was a bit odd but he liked it.

Back