Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Festival Belgian Dubbel

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 28-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Coups

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Festival Belgian Dubbel

I'm a lover of belgian ales so when i saw festival had brought out this beer kit I had to try it

Really easy kit, just like any other really - you just have to remember that this particular kit from their new range is the only one that is brewed to 18 litres - or 19 litres if your coups and can't count

Made it up with my usual set-up, used Asda bottled water (5L bottles), got plenty of air in the wort as I mixed it up and it smells great! The only difference I made was I used Wyeast Belgian Abbey II yeast with the activator built into the sachet. I didn't particularly like the yeast and it's gimmicky popping of the inner sachet, give me Whitelabs any day please. Took a trial jar to read off the OG which was 1.066. Based on the kit destructions it advises a final gravity of 1.007 - so mine works out at around 7.8% when it's in its bottles.

Had a cheeky swig from the trial jar and you get a massive smack in the face from the concentrate wort, cannot wait to try this - it seems like its going to have a fantastic body. With the hops supplied in the kit (saaz pellets I read somewhere) it is surely going to turn out pretty close to a Belgian Dubbel.

I'll report when fermentation has finished and no doubt another cheeky swig from the trial jar.

Old 29-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
sausagefingers

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I've just added the hops to my Belgian Pale Ale from the same range as yours and the smell was fantastic, really looking forward to trying this one. If the smell is anything to go by then it will be a cracker, the Dubbel was just too strong for me at +7% even though I like the New World Saison which turned out at 6.5%.
I've done the American Steam Beer which was great so high hopes for the Pale Ale

Old 29-06-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
Coups

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Oh right great stuff sausage, i think i might have to try the pale ale next. Id be tempted to add some cascade or nelson sauvin hops to it to give it abit of a kick towards an IPA haha what do you reckon?

Old 07-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
mompessons

Likes Given: 1

I'm putting this on to brew tonight. What did it turn out like?
Kits bought and waiting
Brewferm Christmas
Milestone Donner and Blitzed
Festival Belgian Dubbel
Coopers Real Ale
Coopers Stout

Old 11-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Noah
Amateur Beer Taster

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Any updates would be most welcome, I'm thinking of doing this one at some stage to see how it compares to Woodforde's Headcracker.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #6
BeerisGOD

Liked 239 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
Any updates would be most welcome, I'm thinking of doing this one at some stage to see how it compares to Woodforde's Headcracker.
did you do this one mate? Im planning a Belgium kit. how did it turn out?

Im planning on one once I've moved.

Old 22-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
12redser

Ok absolute gob****e mistake doing this kit tonight. Herself was nattering away while i was doing it and i missed the part about obly brewing 18 liters instead of the 23ltr on other festival kits.. im new to this lark so wondering is it ruined or will i work it through. Og is 1.50 as opposed to 1.66 as recomended

Old 22-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #8
Poochops

Liked 147 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12redser View Post
Ok absolute gob****e mistake doing this kit tonight. Herself was nattering away while i was doing it and i missed the part about obly brewing 18 liters instead of the 23ltr on other festival kits.. im new to this lark so wondering is it ruined or will i work it through. Og is 1.50 as opposed to 1.66 as recomended
It's not ruined by any means but it'll be lighter in body and flavour than it should and will end up around 5.2 to 5.5% - session Belgian Ale
Slid Likes This 
Old 23-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #9
12redser

Ok well thats not so bad. Thanks for the reply