oops no yeast help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
:doh:just got all my stuff out and ready to do a brew
and oops no yeast . and can not get out to get some
the wife as gone out
the wife as some dry bread yeast can I use some of that:doh:

the wife as gone out

best not to unless you. I know someone who used allinsons and it didn't attenuate it ended up sweet, bready, cloudy with a twang :-o

bread yeasts tend to be 'fast-acting' but for beer thats not so good :oops:

I've used a beer yeast for pizza dough that was nice (re-hydrated of course)

Wait until you get the right yeast.
Bread yeast doesn't have much tolerance to alcohol so it will finish when there is not much alcohol leaving your brew sweet.

I've read can use brewing yeast for baking but not the other way around. Have you got a wilko nearby? If you have you can get some from there

as I said I can not get out
the wife as the car and I can not get hold of her

the wife as gone out

I've used Allison's easy bake on a brew before and if you're looking for an ABV of no more than 4,5 and don't mind a bready flavour go for.I quite liked it but you'll never know until you try 👍🍺

Last edited:
You could always get a starter going with some of the sediment from your bottled brews ...

I've used Allison's easy bake on a brew before and if you're looking for an ABV of no more than 4,5 and don't mind a breast flavour go for.I quite liked it but you'll never know until you try 👍🍺

Me neither. I usually prefer it in a milk stout :lol:

as I said I can not get out
the wife as the car and I can not get hold of her

large.gif

I've used bread yeast twice, both intentionally. Both attenuated fine and the first was one of the clearest beers I've made. Both were Nordic Farmhouse-inspired beers where bakers' yeast is traditionally used.

I've used bread yeast twice, both intentionally. Both attenuated fine and the first was one of the clearest beers I've made. Both were Nordic Farmhouse-inspired beers where bakers' yeast is traditionally used.

Nice to see some positive first hand experience with bakers yeast in brewing.

Back