Dry yeast and hop combo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That implies stressed yeast, you shouldn't be getting that from a healthy BRY-97 fermentation.
Yeah, I had stressed yeast problems in the past, always with MJ-M42. Difficult to see where the stress came from this time, though. Just looked at notes: 20 litre batch, pitch at 22C, OG 1046, half teaspoonful of nutrient (now goes into all my beers ever since the M42 issues). Turned out to be a lovely beer after the yeast had cleaned up in the bottle. Nevertheless, made subsequent batches with US-05. I wonder how close it really is to US-05! Anyway, I bought two sachets at the time so there's little to be lost by giving the second one a whirl. Won't be until the new year as I'm enjoying the cold to make an inexhaustible supply of various lagers.

I wonder how close it really is to US-05!
Haven't got a definitive answer for that but the close similarity of the DNA fingerprints suggests that it is in the 1056/US-05 subgroup, as opposed to eg the WLP001 subgroup. So - very.

Could be something about the Lallemand drying process that your process doesn't work with. A bit more aeration probably wouldn't hurt.

I've seen a lot of complaints over the years about Bry-97 being a very slow starter. It's not been a problem for me on the few occasions I've used it, probably cos i tend to pitch at about 25 and let it fall to 18 ish over the first few hours.

Anyway I'm increasingly a brewer of English beers and NEIPA hasn't ever really been my thing, but to hit the jackpot you likely need to use a suitable liquid yeast, like a Vermont or 1318. You can achieve things by using more than one dry yeast in combination though. I have used S-33 a number of times but gave up using it on its own. S-33 and S-04 would both bring things to the NEIPA party and the S-04 would overcome the S-33 niggles of flocculation and attenuation. And Windsor is an alternative to S-33.

For other dry yeast NEIPA options I don't see much beyond the Verdant/Saturated/Clipper group. I think you want a yeast with some fruity English character and there are slim pickings in the dry yeast world. Better than they used to be though.

NEIPA isn't my thing at all and I'm tending towards cleaner tasting and looking beers. I'm more and more reluctant to try to produce bottled versions of traditional bitters.
Cold IPA, on the other hand, caught my fancy and I was very pleased with my first attempt. I'll continue in that direction at least until I've used up my stock of suitable hops.
That said, I recall having a go at CML's Tropical England, which, I suppose is in the same field, at least. I've already scheduled a Cold IPA version so I'd better get on with it. (Cold, Wet and Miserable IPA).
As for BRY-97, Lallemand claim it produces beta-glucosamine so there would be some bio transformation of the hops going on: terpene production at least, but no thiols.

Manchester is about as cold wet and miserable IPA as it gets this morning. Probably an ideal time for a stove top brew but I'm visiting my brother today. Brew tomorrow perhaps.

NEIPA isn't my thing at all and I'm tending towards cleaner tasting and looking beers. I'm more and more reluctant to try to produce bottled versions of traditional bitters.
Cold IPA, on the other hand, caught my fancy and I was very pleased with my first attempt. I'll continue in that direction at least until I've used up my stock of suitable hops.
That said, I recall having a go at CML's Tropical England, which, I suppose is in the same field, at least. I've already scheduled a Cold IPA version so I'd better get on with it. (Cold, Wet and Miserable IPA).
As for BRY-97, Lallemand claim it produces beta-glucosamine so there would be some bio transformation of the hops going on: terpene production at least, but no thiols.
I've made Tropical England, and I wonder about CML recommending Atlantic yeast. What is it? Here's what they say:
ATLANTIC. Suitable to brew subtle ester ales with a round palate.
Attenuation: 74-78%

Flocculation: Medium
Fermentation: ideally 19-22°C
Max ABV 9% in 20 litres - Pitching Rate: 50g/100 litres
INGREDIENTS:Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), emulsifier E491
What to expect? Similar US-05 but with a rounder palate
They're obviously going for the biotransformation thing as about of their "Tropical England" hop mix gets thrown in on the third day of fermentation. Makes a nice beer as well.

Latest posts

Back