Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > New Member, first brew.. not going well?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
Dutto
Dutto

Liked 1697 Times on 1210 Posts
Likes Given: 3749

Rule One - Don't worry. Beer and God are very forgiving.

Rule Two - Stop messing with it. Neither of the above are totally forgiving.

Rule Three - After bottling leave it alone for at least four weeks before tasting it.

Rule Four - Get your next brew going as soon as you have bottled this one.

Welcome to the Forum!

Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed.

Drinking
AG Mild Ale (02/03/17)
Coopers Stout Kit + Grain (15/06/17)
SMASH with Maris Otter & Saaz (24/08/17)

Carbonating/Conditioning
Vienna Lager with Hallertau
Pale Ale with EKG & Saaz
Wilco's Hoppy Copper Bitter
Wilco's Pilsner with Lowicz Cherry Syrup

Fermenting
Watch this space!

Note:
(**/**/**) = Date ready to drink.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
caferaca

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Thank you very much

Thank you all for the responses. It all sounds like great advice.

I should mention I took the muslin bag containing the dry hops out after 10 days ( I know I got it all wrong), but panicked that it was making the beer too bitter). So all the sludge from that is contained.

It looked fairly clear on Wednesday, I will check it again tomorrow, and if the reading is the same (1010), I'll bottle it I think.

I washed the bottles in soapy water and rinsed thoroughly. let dry and stored in closed cardboard boxes ( a couple of months ago). I'll do the same with sterilising powder before bottling.

With the FV I got, there is a tap, on the bottom, which attaches a tube which is supposed to have a sediment catcher. Not sure if it works or is any good, but is meant for bottling.

So after that, airing cupboard (or somewhere warn for 2 weeks, than rack for 2-3 weeks, and consume in great quantity

Sounds like a plan.

I like the idea of having bottles instead of a barrel I think, mainly because it's easier to carbonate? certainly chill before drinking and give away maybe. We'll see.

Any I'll let you know how it goes.
DaveK Likes This 
Old 12-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
caferaca

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

All bottled up sitting in the spare bedroom. Very exciting!
People Like This 
Old 04-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #14
caferaca

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Update: I tried my first bottle last night. All in all very impressed. Good head, some fizz, not too murky, and most importantly it tastes pretty good. Certainly good enough for me to get through 40 pints
It's a bit early I think, as its only been bottled for 3 weeks, but couldn't resist.

Also I started another brew a week ago. Youngs kit again, this time the new work saison. this time this one is bubbling away, and I bought a heated mat for it, as its likes the warm apparently. Anyway will bottle that at the weekend I think.
All going good. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Tags
american, brew, home, pale ale