Tube heater for brew fridge smokes when switched on. Normal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I purchased a tube heater for use in a brew fridge. When I switched it on it stated smoking from the grey housing near where the wire joins the heater.

I complained and asked for a refund and the seller says this is normal and is just residue which will burn off.

Has anyone else experienced this? I feel very nervous about putting something that is smoking into the fridge.

I've built two of these now using 60w tube heaters and haven't had any smoke from either. Doesn't sound good to me. What could it be residue of I wander?

1. Try it outside of the brew fridge in an environment where you can keep an eye on it and it won't do any damage if it fails.
2. If it fails, say catches fire ... :eek: , or develops an electrical fault within a reasonable time say an hour or so, then its faulty and you are entitled to a full refund including postage costs from the retailer. Ebay, although slow, will back you up.
3. If it does as the supplier says i.e. stops smoking then you can use it I suppose unless....
4. You are still unhappy with it and you want to return it. You will then have a fight on your hands since the retailer will argue its OK and you have used it, so will not want to take it back.
Best of luck.

Mine didn't smoke and if their instructions that came with it didn't say it would then I think you should be entitled to return it. Ask them for a signed letter taking full financial responsibility should it prove to be a fault that burns your house down and I'll bet they swap it asap

I wouldn't use it unless the instructions say there may be a little smoke when first operated.

How many electrical products smoke when you turn them on and operate them?

Any reputable heater operates without smoking. Can you imagine any sane manufacturer coating an electrical heating element with coatings that would smoke? I can't, and I can't imagine any reputable dealer who would fob off a concerned user that way either. If I had that I'd want my money back right away. If ebay, open a case under not working or not as described. They will refund you quickly.

Good point Tony, i have read instructions that have said an item can give off a smell when first used but not smoke.

Good point Tony, i have read instructions that have said an item can give off a smell when first used but not smoke.

I think that's right chippy. Actual smoke is a 'no no'. A hot smell is not abnormal in a toaster, a new oven element or anything like that. I just fitted a new element in my oven (damned thing blew on Christmas Day believe it or not) and the new one didn't even make a smell when I switched it on. That element runs red hot.

A smoking heater is badly made and probably dangerous,

It sounds like a duffer, and so does the seller, tell them its not right and you want money back or a replacement or you will go to trading standards, or take a video of it smoking and then email it to them and say its going on you tube if you don't get any joy.

Back