Clean up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico1973

Reaction score
As a newbe I have read lots about cleaning up your brew by leaving for 2 weeks in the fv.
I understand the concept my question is does this always work and how can I tell?
Im using the new Coopers kit the Krisen as dropped after about 3 days temp wise had been in the rage of 18 to 20 bit colder last 2 days!
Not taken a GR because I think it's to early started on Jan 02nd, making a Coopers English bitter. Do I need to bring the temp up to help clean up?

Hi!
Depending on the yeast packed with your kit, it is possible that initial fermentation is almost complete after three days. Some yeasts roar off and get the job done quickly.
The temperature range of the yeast will probably tolerate a temp a little below 20°C but it usually needs a little longer to get the job done.
The bottom line is that, although it seems to be finished fermenting, leave it until the fortnight is up. Ignore it until Jan 16th. This is a general rule of thumb for beer - two weeks in the FV.
Try to avoid large temperature fluctuations during fermentation as it puts extra stress on the yeast.

Back