WLP002

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeamer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used WLP002 for the first time which came as part of the Malt Millers Proud Griffin kit. The instructions say.. "Ferment at 18c for 10 days or until final gravity is reached and stable. At this point hold the temperature for a few days to allow the yeast to clean up any diacetyl prior to packaging." As this is the 1st time of using liquid yeast did quite a bit of reading about it and read quite a few differing times. some had ferment for less than 10 days at 18, some had 14 days at 18 and another that upped the temp in day 11 to 19 and day 12 to 20.

Also should I try and save the yeast for use in a few months?

WLP002 is pretty quick - I'd expect that beer to be done in 7 days. Start it at 18 and then when the ferment starts to slow down (probably 3-4 days) then bump it up to 19. Once activity stops then give it a couple of days.

As for saving yeast, if you're not going to use it for a few months then I'd not bother. Generally harvested yeast can be kept a few weeks, and even then it needs a starter before use.

Personally I start it at 18C for 4 days, then 1 day at 19C and then 9 days at 20C to give it a full 14 days, why not unless you are in a desperate rush?

Rather than save the yeast from the trub I overbuild the starter and then store that, in theory it gives you a calculated cell count. If you are not going to use it soon then you will as said above need to make a starter from the stored yeast, but you can overbuild this as well and keep the culture going for years if you keep doing this.

If you want to keep it unused for many months then you could make a starter and just store it without making a brew from time to time to keep the yeast healthy.

Latest posts

Back