Honey Tripel - Recipe Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrGero

Reaction score
Hi, I want to brew a honey beer based on a Belgian Tripel. The recipe I have maid is based on the Belgian Tripel in the book "Home Brew Beer".

I'm planing on adding the honey at flameout. The candi sugar will be added as normal @10 min.

Is anyone up for a review of my recipe? Any advice / suggestions / experience?

RECIPE
-----------------------
Boil Time: 70 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.081
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 9.43%
IBU (tinseth): 35.35
SRM (ebcmorey): 10.57

FERMENTABLES:
5 kg - Belgian - Pilsner (71.9%)
200 g - German - CaraMunich I (2.9%)
750 g - Belgian Candi Sugar - Clear/Blond (0L) - (late addition) (10.8%)
1 kg - Honey - (late addition) (14.4%)

HOPS:
48 g - Saaz, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.2, Use: Boil for 70 min, IBU: 21.7
48 g - Styrian Goldings, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 5.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 13.65

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 65 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 17.5 L, Mash-In
2) Temperature, Temp: 75 C, Time: 10 min, Mash-Out
3) Fly Sparge, Temp: 75 C, Time: 30 min, Amount: 15.1 L, Sparge
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.5 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
3 g - Yeast Nutrient, Time: 10 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil
3 g - Irish moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Belgian Strong Ale 1388
Fermentation Temp: 24 C

That's a lot of non-malt fermentables, might cause some issues but then I've done a full on braggot which was 50/50 and it's fine. If I was doing a honey tripel, I'd probably just drop the candi sugar altogether, since it's the pale sort it's just boosting OG and not adding flavour, be as well just use more honey if needed.

If you can control temperatures, something I've come across with belgians and just tried out for my brunette is starting the fermentation cool, i went for 20c other have done 18c and then after 4 - 7 days slowly ramp up 1c per day to around 27c. This helps with keeping esters and fusels under control and then helps ensure the beer fully ferments out dry. I just racked mine for bulk conditioning and it certainly didn't lack for flavour having had the week at 20c.

Good luck.

I'd agree with dropping the candi sugar. 1kg of honey to 5.2kg of malt is enough. Even then it will be really dry with a single infusion at a low temp like that.

I found single infusions too thin on Belgian beers. Some people whack in some carapils or something to add a bit more body if they don't want to have a go at a step mash.

If your setup allows for step mashing I'd strongly suggest it for this style. It's what the Belgians do.

Thanks for the feedback. I brew om Grainfather, step mash is not a problem. I will skip the candi sugar! Any suggestions regarding step mash?

Back