Fermentation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovebeers

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just thought i'd pop by and say hi.:thumb:

I have brewed larger from kits 5 times over the past few years with great results but I'm just trying some now and wanted some advice really.

I was given a kit last Christmas last and had stored it and forgotten about it. I found it the other day and noticed that the date on it was BBE Nov 16 so as far as that goes I guess it's fine and the yeast included is dated May17.
It's a kit with a tub of thick malt extract from brewbarrel , some yeast and 4 small bottles of hops flavour

Previously I have added sugar at the start with other kits but this kit doesn't say to do so.

Everything has been cleaned and sanitized etc, prepared as per instructions and its been fermenting for the last 7 days but I haven't seen any bubbles in the airlock.

The instructs says it needs 18 - 20 degrees. It's in the kitchen and generally the temp goes up and down a it with heating but we don't have it that hot and its currently about 13 on the thermometer next to the fermenting tank.

So given the above, do we think it's ok and will ferment? Should I be testing the sg now ?

Any thoughts? & thanks!!!

Most ale yeast will stall if the temp drops to 13. Have you seen any sign of fermentation (a silent air lock doesn't necessarily mean it's not doing anything), have a quick check to see if there is any krausen and take a sample to check the gravity. If it's dropped but not far enough, try giving it a gently stir to rouse the yeast and get the temp up to restart fermentation.

+1 on what H0PMONSTER has said.
If your brew has stalled and you are unable to put it in a warm place (and get the ale yeast supplied to get going again) you could consider fermenting it with a proper lager yeast which will obviously suit what you have and should ferment out at 13*C.

Hi all. There's a fair bit of fizzing/bubbling going on inside and it smells strong as well!

Not so much of the krausen as such.

I forgot to take a gravity reading at the start. I take it I can still use an sg reading to decide if it's Ready? How else would I know??

Will it spoil after so long??

If you believe it is fermenting, however slowly, my advice is to take an SG reading now and then again say at the weekend, when if the SG is less, it's obviously going.
Without knowing anything about your brew my guess is that under normal circumstances you should be expecting an FG in the range 1.008 to 1.012. Brewbarrel kits don't come up very often on this Forum, but I suspect it's because members don't buy them because of the price

OK so the sg reading right now is 1.020/ 1.022ish

Given that i don't know what it was on the 15th.....does that sound like it's doing anything or can't we tell?

I've brought it from where it was into the kitchen. It's a warming up now. Should I still stir it or no?

OK so the sg reading right now is 1.020/ 1.022ish

Given that i don't know what it was on the 15th.....does that sound like it's doing anything or can't we tell?

I've brought it from where it was into the kitchen. It's a warming up now. Should I still stir it or no?

Just leave it alone for a few days. At 1.020 it's probably half way through the fermentation process.

I wouldn't bother stirring anything because every time you open up the FV to take a sample or do anything you are putting it at risk.

Try the SG on Saturday and see if it's moved. If it hasn't, then get back to the Forum. :thumb: :thumb:

I was wondering why I could smell the brew around the fv.

The sealing ring must have gone a little hard and not sealed correctly .

Ive just really tightend down the lid and the airlock has instantly starting bubbling like crazy.

Must be a hell of a lot of gas being created

So, I've taken another sample today. Do you think it's going?

Bottom pic was Tuesday, top one is today. Is it OK to leave it going or is it no good,?

If it's useful, the bubbler Is still releasing gas every 45 seconds.

DSC_0639.jpg

DSC_0618.jpg

Taken another sg reading today . its still bubbling away.
Any thoughts.tastes OK. You could drink it. Although a bit flat

Can hydrometers go wrong? Just tested mine in water. It reads 1.000.

Shall I let it carry On?

DSC_0659.jpg

So guys,
Still bubbling away here. Been going since 15th.
Shall I leave it going? It's on 1010 ish. Is that OK?

My hygrometer has a red yellow and green section. Is this relevant to my larger?

DSC_0670.jpg

The reading for water is correct. It may go a bit lower than 1010. Leave it and test again in a couple of days it won't do anything harm. My American pale has been in the fv for over 4 weeks and is now 1006 as an example but yours may be different. When it's finished you will get a constant fg over a few days.

Cheers

Clint

Hello m8,
the thing in time you'll find out for a positive reading is the key, the bubbler is just a indication that co2 is still emitting, that is the FV is has a tight fit.
When you see the bubbler no action use a reading for 2-3 days and with the same reading (for the desired reading) think about racking or bottling.
Think you getting stressed a bit, we've been there, still am I bit...chill and let the fermination take its course.
If you pitched at the right temp, airated it, tight fit seal and its bubbling there's nowt to worry!
There's a problem opening the lid too many times, there could be nasties going it! Hence the bubbler and if you use a clear see throw carboy etc there no need to keep opening the lid up til many times. See any yeast through it doing its job rising and dropping then fermentation is still taking place.
Waiting time that the 'cake' dissipears or callapses. and and look at the bubbler if non or a few Bubbles then u can look at the final stage readings for a few days befor racking or bottling
Hope u understand me, sorry I'm not good at times getting what I mean lol

Thanks for the advice there.

I am just concerned as the booklet said 7-9 days and it's been 3 weeks nearly. I guess it's to do with the temperature I have it at. I don't have any heating on it, it's just sat at house hold temperature. I thought it would spoil after that but I guess not. I'll keep waiting and testing.

I am just concerned as the booklet said 7-9 days

Hi!
Kit instructions are hopelessly optimistic. If a newbie picks up a can that says, "Ferment for 7 days" he's probably going to buy the kit. If it says, "Ferment for two weeks - ready to drink in two months" the newbie brewer is going to be put off and probably won't buy the kit. My son fancied having a go, and he had chosen a Cooper's European Lager. When he read that the beer wouldn't be ready to drink for three months he gave up (and muggins bought it from him).
Work on two weeks at least for fermentation to cease. You could leave it longer if you wish - it won't harm the beer.

So true.
Well, it still appears to be creeping down the range. Todays reading is 1.010

If it is going then it sure is slow. Almost difficult to gauge a difference between days.
But the pictures of the hydrometer show a difference over time.

DSC_0690.jpg

Latest posts

Back