Opinions: Do you leave your whole hops in the fermenter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea brewer

Reaction score
Hi All

I’m researching whether to sieve my whole hops out between the boil and fermentation or keep them in. The context for this question is a sharp bitterness than unfortunately accompanies many of my brews, no matter what IBU I’m aiming for. I am taking steps to lower my mash pH.

My two last batches have been ones where I’ve left them in. Today I might sieve them out in an effort to make a balanced American IPA.

I am using basic BIAB equipment, e.g. 5G tubs.

Thoughts please !

Last edited:
In the past when I'd made beer in a pot I've tended to keep them in. Now I've got a BZ which came with a hop spider I take the spider/hops out.

If I had a spider that fit in the pots (apart from the little b@ggers that fall in between use) I'd probably do the same as the BZ.

Having said that, leaving them in didn't seem to do any harm and I wouldn't expend too much effort retrieving them (you need to account for the additional bittering in the recipe, BrewMate has a no-chill option).

You are getting extra IBU's from leaving the hops in which you may not be accounting for.
As per Stage2 has said use a hop spider or a veg bag so that you can remove them at the end of the boil/whirlpool or get used to higher bitterness than you expect but some brewers like it well bitter but it is a personal preference.

I am also a BIAB brewer, and have done a few with hops left in through the ferment....but recently not had overly sharp or bitter beer unless I intended it.
I would suggest a couple of things....
1. Add a % of acid malt to your recipe, 3-4% is my normal for pale beers ; this will lower your Ph. You can also add something like Lactic acid to do the same thing. I initially had astringency issues, and from doing these steps, I seem now to be getting away with it.
2. Use a hop bag in your boil / spider to remove your hops at the end of the boil.
3. If doing an IPA , with presumably dry hops....these can give you extra bitterness depending on the variety and amount, so do some control bottles (without the dry hop) and try them along side your dry hopped IPA to get a measure of what your base ale tastes like versus your intended brew.
4. When calculating your recipe, build it so that you know the intended consequences of boil additions, i.e. You may intend 40 IBU, but by miscalculation you could have more or less ?? I tend to use BrewGr on the web and as I add malt, hops etc it tells me what the finished wort should be like.

Hope this helps,
David.

Out. Defo.

I have tried it and it seemed to reduce the hop flavours badly. A few getaways are OK.

I agree with above and can recommend the mangrove jack 800 micron spider.

I always remove the kettle hops before fermentation. But nowadays I hop most of my beers very simply, start of the boil for bittering and to guard against infection, and then a hop tea when I bottle the beer. I don't make American IPAs. So not a lot of hops go in the kettle anyway. And none in the FV.

Back