Grains - How crushed is crushed?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamlead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone got pics of crushed grains?
I broke my mincer trying to crush mine so went to my next door neighbors industrial flour milling gaff.
Think they're crushed a bit too much - looks a bit like rough chopped porrage oats?
Think this may turn out like gluey porrage in the mash tun - any thoughts peeps?

Just brewing Timothy Taylor Landlord this morning, here'sa couple of piccys of crushed Crystal Malt, thought it might show up the best on a sheet of A4 :roll:

I get all my grains ready crushed from Rob, The Malt Miller, and he bags the main grains ready for each brew, ie for today, Marris Otter 4250g pack, I get a few ready bagged like that, helps keep them fresh in the heavy plastic bags he uses :!:

The other grains I buy from him in either 1 or 2 kg bags, again, ready crushed :thumb:

Hope these help :cheers:

2hz0g1l.jpg

25qrj4i.jpg

Here's mine. It's a pretty fine crush with a gap of .035 on my barley crusher. Quite a bit of flour produced. I routinely get near 80% efficiency and no stuck sparges.

IMG_3453.jpg

hey ph... you should roll your sleeves up before playing with grain

;)

Latest posts

Back