How times have changed.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How times have changed this was big news in 1977, imagine if the same people could see how far standards have slipped over the years.

Sex Pistols album landed record store guy in court
The Sex Pistols' Never Mind the ******** album cover caused huge controversy back in 1977 when posters were plastered over Virgin store windows.
One Nottingham record store manager ended up in court for it.

BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...istols-album-landed-record-store-guy-in-court

sssssssstttttt.jpg

Was having a similar discussion with a friend recently, I know music has changed over the years but what would you say is the most recent, iconic album?

I am a child of the 90's but probably the most recent I could think of would be (Whats the story) morning glory- Oasis

I am in no way putting down music of the past 20 years as there's so many albums I love but truly Iconic albums that everyone would know are thin on the round

I know. I assumed we'd just gone off on a tangent. Isn't that sort of what we do in The Snug?

Anyway, Arctic Monkeys. "Iconic" is a hard word to define, but I think you'll struggle to find a single member of my generation (I was born 1990) who doesn't like at least one song off that album, and the more popular tunes from it were basically the sound track to our teenage years. I'd say that makes it iconic.

@Dexter101 It's a great album. I spent many happy hours doing silly things with that on in the background.

If you want to talk iconic singles, then Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis. Ever club or bar or pub I went in between the ages of 17 and 19 was playing that song.

I am a child of the 90's but probably the most recent I could think of would be (Whats the story) morning glory- Oasis

I'm with you there. I bought that the day it came out and still got the Our Price till receipt tucked in the CD booklet.

Probably my favourite album of all time. started uni in Sheffield not too long after it came out.
I started uni in Sheffield many years before your goodself. In that year albums were released by such diverse bands as The Troggs, Supremes, Beatles, Jefferson Aiplane, John Mayall with Eric Clapton (which I still have) and The Incredible String Band (anyone remember them)
But the upside is that this was in the days when Tetleys was actually a very decent pint as I regularly confirmed :thumb:

I started uni in Sheffield many years before your goodself. In that year albums were released by such diverse bands as The Troggs, Supremes, Beatles, Jefferson Aiplane, John Mayall with Eric Clapton (which I still have) and The Incredible String Band (anyone remember them)
But the upside is that this was in the days when Tetleys was actually a very decent pint as I regularly confirmed :thumb:

saw the ISB at least 3 times in concert

Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not by The Arctic Monkeys.

For iconic British albums it’s this or The Libertines “Up The Bracket”.

Worldwide it must be The Strokes’ debut.

All of these albums were released more than 10 years ago, 16 in the case of Is This It!

I can’t think of anything from the last 10 years.

I did but Its the snug if members want to discuss their favourite albums thart's fine.

It is amusing that merely displaying the posters landed someone in court. But that was sort of the point, wasn't it? They were being deliberately offensive for the shock value.

It is amusing that merely displaying the posters landed someone in court. But that was sort of the point, wasn't it? They were being deliberately offensive for the shock value.

Richard Branson said if they had locked him up for a week it would have sold more albums so yes they knew what they were doing.

Iconic albums, huh? How about the Stone Roses' debut? Look what that started! And from more or less the same time, Primal Scream's 'Screamadelica' - which has to be that era's defining moment.

Pills N Thrills and Bellyaches too!

All 3 are coming up for 30 years old too but still great!

Some great bands mentioned Beatles,John Mayall, Libertines ,Strokes I was thinking gotta mention Stone Roses/ Stone Roses & Gunge beat me to It Nice one Fantastic choice

The Stone Roses debut album sound even better now than it did back then.

I never could get along with The Beatles, but I find I'm very much alone in that regard.

I love almost anything Jack White does.

I saw John Mayall in 71 or 72, just missed seeing him play in Southport last week. Still going strong.

Latest posts

Back