Entire UK facing gales and downpours as Storm Isha blows in

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you read the article in full he is saying - “We’ve got to stop going out after the storm to try to help people rebuild their lives, we’ve got to get ahead of the storm and put the resilience in place first," “So working with you not just on the response to storms or flooding or whatever it may be but on the resilience to stop that in the first place or mitigate that is hugely important.

A Labour Government would "get ahead" of torrential storms, Sir Keir Starmer has said, as he accused the Conservatives of implementing a "sticking plaster" approach over Storm Isha.

The Labour leader said he was concerned for those whose homes have been severely damaged or flooded, and do not have sufficient insurance to cover the costs of repair.

In a speech at the Civil Society Summit on Monday morning, Starmer said the overnight storms and floods are an "example of sticking plaster politics in many ways”.

“We’ve got to stop going out after the storm to try to help people rebuild their lives, we’ve got to get ahead of the storm and put the resilience in place first," he added.

“So working with you not just on the response to storms or flooding or whatever it may be but on the resilience to stop that in the first place or mitigate that is hugely important.

"So there’s a strong preventative theme through everything that we want to do.”

I did read the article, thanks Chippy. And the specifics of what Starmer said were what I found funny.

Very heavy rain here for the last couple of hours and the wind is getting very gusty i hope the drains can cope as we came very close to being flooded last September.

How is the weather where you are?

View attachment 95001

By Sam Hancock
BBC News

Almost the whole of the UK is under amber weather warnings for strong winds from Storm Isha.
The Met Office said amber wind warnings will be in force from 18:00 GMT on Sunday for all of the UK apart from London and parts of the South East.
Gusts of up to 80mph (128km/h) are expected, posing a risk to life. The Met Office said it was rare for all of the UK to be under such an alert.
BBC Weather's Matt Taylor said the disruption will continue into Monday.

Two amber warnings will be in place from 18:00. One stretches across central, eastern and western England and all of Wales.
The other covers all of Scotland, northern England and Northern Ireland.
The Republic of Ireland's weather service Met Éireann has issued a red warning - its highest - for wind in the north-west of the country.
It said Isha would bring "severe and destructive gusts, particularly in coastal and exposed areas".
BBC Weather's Matt Taylor said "widespread gales" are expected across the UK by the end of the day.
Gusts of 50 to 60mph will be felt widely across the UK with 70 to 80mph around some coasts. At Capel Curig, Snowdonia, a wind gust of 90mph was recorded on Sunday afternoon.
Additionally, there are yellow warnings for rain that cover the whole of the UK including London and parts of the South East not subject to the amber wind alerts.
Disruption could continue well into Monday's morning rush hour.
Mr Taylor added that Storm Isha was a low-pressure weather system that brought heavy snowfall to the north-eastern US at the end of last week, and has developed as it crossed the Atlantic.

The Met Office said that there was a good chance of power cuts, which could affect mobile phone signal in affected areas, while roads and bridges are likely to be shut. Rail and bus services could face delays and cancellations.
It continued that there was a risk to life in coastal areas from large waves and debris being blown inland.
As part of wider guidance, it has also warned people to minimise risk by staying away from windows whilst at home.
Rail companies including Avanti, LNER and Transpennine said the storm would affect their services and warned customers not to travel on Sunday.
Southeastern has cancelled early Monday morning trains before 06:00 into and out of London to allow engineers to check for debris.
ScotRail said it was ending services outside the central belt of Scotland after 19:00 on Sunday.

Other rail lines are advising travellers to avoid travelling during the storm.
British Airways has cancelled a number of flights and has apologised to customers for disruption.
The carrier said: "British Airways said: "Like other airlines, we have had to make schedule adjustments due to the adverse weather conditions across the UK and Europe caused by Storm Isha."
Ferry companies meanwhile announced a series of cancellations. Irish Ferries said sailings between Holyhead and Dublin and between Pembroke and Rosslare were cancelled.
DFDS meanwhile said Dover, Calais and Dunkirk services were operating with delays, and the service between Newcastle and Amsterdam was also likely to face delays.
A spokesman for the Energy Networks Association, which represents Britain's operators, said on Friday: "An amber warning brings an increased risk of damage to homes and vital infrastructure.
"Energy network operators are preparing to deal with any damage quickly and safely."

The heaviest downpours may occur on Sunday as 30mm-50mm could fall in many places - and there is potential for peaks of 80mm-100mm over hills.
The Met Office has said heavy rain could lead to flooding this week. As of 12:00 on Sunday, the Environment Agency had issued eight flood warnings, where flooding is expected in England, and 59 flood alerts, where flooding is possible.
After days of freezing temperatures and snow in some parts of the UK, higher temperatures are expected by the end of the weekend - but the Met Office has warned it may not feel warmer due to high winds.
Storm Isha follows Storm Henk, which hit the UK earlier this month, causing flooding and disruption, and is the ninth named storm since September.
The Met Office names storms when they have the potential to cause disruption or damage. The agency says it is easier for people to follow the progress of a storm on TV, radio or social media if it has a name.
Not as bad tonight as last night. Winds are only about 60 mph tonight instead of the 90 mph of last night lol. Unfortunately I don’t have fences in my front or back garden anymore, the pool now leaks, and my summer house has no roof, but we are all alive and that’s what counts! 💪🏻

We recently had a post about a survey carried out where the majority of UK citizens would like to stick with metric. Why, when I switch on BBC news they are forecasting gusts of wind at 50MPH?

We recently had a post about a survey carried out where the majority of UK citizens would like to stick with metric. Why, when I switch on BBC news they are forecasting gusts of wind at 50MPH?
It's so when the wind breaks the 20mph speed limit in Wales, God as the creator of said wind can be issued a speeding ticket.

Unfortunately the BBC is very cautious these days, the brexit brigade would be on the case in no time.
But then we were always free to use "imperial" if you wanted to.

My argument with this is the teach our kids metric in school then send them out onto the road with miles and yards etc on the signs. I personally don’t care which one we use, just bloody stick to one 🤣

1706025071683.png

A tad breezy up here again. :roll: Had no ferry for a few days as wave net says 7mish swell. But power is still on and stoves roaring nicely. Cold dry cider still safe in my fridge. Vietnamese spicy salmon and prawn broth coming together nicely.

Back up battery system and torches charged.

Seems strange when you lot are all sharing our usual winters. In fact I still like a good storm season is that wrong?:rolleyes:;)

Maybe it's weather as news & the modern way the media must generate sensational headlines.
You are correct though, we've always had storms, especially round the coasts.
But I think a most people are not as prepared these days & modern life is so much more dependent on a reliable electric/gas/water supply.
And it doesn't help when big new housing estates get built on flood zones etc.
And the more urban you get, the less prepared most people are. We just expect the council to come & clear trees off roads & supermarkets to be open the next day etc.

I was watching deep dive on yt earlier and low and behold Alex Deakin informed the world, in the last 20 year we have only had winds over 90 mph 24 times, and 11 in the last 10 years, so media blowing up a storm again.

My argument with this is the teach our kids metric in school then send them out onto the road with miles and yards etc on the signs. I personally don’t care which one we use, just bloody stick to one 🤣
Well my kids are being taught metric and imperial in school. Think we are perfectly capable of being able to convert between the two. Think it's a non issue and plenty of other things people should be worried about these days. Pretty handy if you deal with the US with work as its something you have to be aware of so you don't get things mixed up, though to be fair the US companies we deal with all work in metric as it was agreed as the standard we will work together in.

Imperial/metric is a lot of fuss about nothing. What is a metre? - just a mark on a stick. Same for a yard.
I use imperial when it's convenient and the same for metric. Once you start measuring 64ths of an inch, metric becomes much more sensible.
Of course, I started off life with just imperial but interestingly both my kids who are approaching 30 now use the 2 systems similarly.
I use lbs and Oz's for weighing grain because that's what my kitchen scales use, and grams for hops because I have a smaller set of scales that's metric. Fahrenheit for temperature because that's what my thermometer reads. It's just a mark on a stick after all.

Latest posts

Back