"Bog Frog" (Hobgoblin Clone)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
The boiler is going on again tomorrow :cool:

Brewing something like a Hobgoblin Clone it seems to be quite popular at the moment, I'm using Northdown and Bobeks though so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Batch Size 40L
Target OG 1.050 @ 65% efficiency
Mash 1hr @ 68c
Boil 1hr

9100.00 gm Pale Malt 88.80 %
400.00 gm Crystal Malt 3.90 %
340.00 gm Flaked Barley 3.32 %
340.00 gm Torrified Wheat 3.32 %
68.00 gm Chocolate Malt 0.66 %

Northdown (@60 min) (First Wort Hop) ~30 IBU
Bobek (@15 min) ~5 IBU
30g Bobek (steeped at 80c for 15 mins)

Fermenting with s04 as I haven't kicked a starter off :roll:

Looks like it'll be a busy brewday as I have errands to run while the mash is on :roll:

Wez, have I recently see that recipe with 'roasted' flaked barley or is there enough roast flavour in the crystal?

Have a good one anyway.

jb.

Frisp said:
Very similar to the one I put on last week. Only difference is I used Fuggles to 28 IBU in the main boil. Hope the bog frog goes well.

Thought you might notice where I got the recipe from :whistle: :thumb:

:lol:

Cheers guys, hopefully fit the brew in before the weekend is over :roll:

Guy's it looks like it'll be a while until I can brew this now :cry: this does however mean that I have time to grow a liquid yeast starter on to use in it :party: I have the following yeasts to choose from which of these do you think would work best in this beer?

WLP002 English Ale
WLP007 Dry English Ale
WLP023 Burton Ale

I'm thinking WLP002 :hmm: but not sure if WLP023 would work also, imo 007 wouldn't be right?

What do you think?

I used WLP002 in my last hobgoblin clone. The yeast worked well but it took a while to mature properly - I think I had diacetyl problems with WLP002 so best to do a diacetyl rest to help clear up.

The previous hobgoblin clone I did I used S04 which actually worked very well fermenting at 22 degrees to get the fruity taste that I think hobgoblin has. I used the same recipe both times.

It's definitely a beer that I'll continue to brew until I can perfect it - if that ever happens!

Good luck when you get around to brewing it, it's definitely a great beer! :cheers:

Jonnyv said:
I used WLP002 in my last hobgoblin clone. The yeast worked well but it took a while to mature properly - I think I had diacetyl problems with WLP002 so best to do a diacetyl rest to help clear up.

The previous hobgoblin clone I did I used S04 which actually worked very well fermenting at 22 degrees to get the fruity taste that I think hobgoblin has. I used the same recipe both times.

It's definitely a beer that I'll continue to brew until I can perfect it - if that ever happens!

Good luck when you get around to brewing it, it's definitely a great beer! :cheers:

It's next up for me for sure and I may use s04 now :hmm: what recipe did you brew with each, would be keen to compare :)

I followed Orfy's hobgoblin recipe for the grist/hops. He uses Nottingham for the yeast but imo that would leave too much of a neutral taste.

Could you post the recipe you have, I'd like to see to compare also :mrgreen:

Here it is :

Batch Size 40L
Target OG 1.050 @ 65% efficiency
Mash 1hr @ 68c
Boil 1hr

9100.00 gm Pale Malt 88.80 %
400.00 gm Crystal Malt 3.90 %
340.00 gm Flaked Barley 3.32 %
340.00 gm Torrified Wheat 3.32 %
68.00 gm Chocolate Malt 0.66 %

Northdown (@60 min) (First Wort Hop) ~30 IBU
Bobek (@15 min) ~5 IBU
30g Bobek (steeped at 80c for 15 mins)

It's based on Frisps brew and also Barley Bottoms I've gone for Northdown for clean taste and bobeks as I love em :D

Looks like i'm finally going to get to brew this tomorrow, it'll be my last brew with the 60L plastic boiler before it is retired to HLT duties :cool: I'm looking at an early start hopefully 6am :pray:

It'll be a 46L batch now rather than a 40L batch

Just off to weigh the grains out and put the mash liquor in the boiler :cool:

Edit...This is the final recipe:

10500.00 gm Maris Otter 88.83 %
460.00 gm Crystal Malt 3.89 %
390.00 gm Flaked Barley 3.30 %
390.00 gm Torrified Wheat 3.30 %
80.00 gm Chocolate Malt 0.68 %

67 gm Northdown [8.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 29.9 IBU
40 gm Bobek [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
40 gm Bobek [5.40 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

60 min 68c mash
60 min boil
46L based on 65% efficiency

I've had hit and miss efficiency lately with the final runnings being at 1.020 so i've based this at 65% so i'll see what I end up with this time :D I'll be happy wether it's spot on a bit lower or a bit higher so I think it's a good idea :cool:

Latest posts

Back