'Corny Kegs'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was wondering what the approx cost is of running a Corny Keg system as opposed to just the traditional Pressure Barrel/King Keg.
For example once the keg is ready to go how much does it cost for CO2 Cylinders? What size is best to get in these and how many Kegs am I likely to get on average per cylinder?
Are these things easy to obtain and what is the approx cost of them?
My cousin is a barman in a local social club. Do you think it would be possible for him to order me one? I don't like to impose on people but u think this may be an avenue I could go down?
I just want to get an idea of the cost etc before I decide.
And indeed is there anyone out there that prefers to bottle and use Pressure barrels? :cheers:

I've recently done the corny keg thing.
My co2 is a 5kg fire extinguisher. About £50. But your cousin may be able to get co2 cheaper for you.
It lasts for a very long time. I've usually got 2 kegs on the go.
One of the deareset things is the regulator. Mine was £79 I think.

I bought my kegs here.
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/a-used-corny-keg-19lt-ball-lock-p-2425.html

6.35kg is a fair size. ALDD in Salisbury do them for around £14, with no deposit required. £79 for a regulator is over the top IMHO, half that is eminently possible.

I got 1 on eBay. Does 2 kegs. Seemed to get the thumbs up on here as I don't have a clue what's right for the job.
There are cheaper but I wanted to be able to run kegs at different pressures.

I just purchased a Corny keg system.
I think the keg was £35 second hand with 5 delivery
Regulator off ebay was £26
ball locks x2 and a party tap with a fitted ball lock came to £18.49 again ebay.
Co2 for a fairly large cannister was £9.99 from air liquide without tax (but with delivery)

so total was about £96.50

let me know if you need links / pics etc.. litrally just filled it with its first beer :-D

Currently in my garage. Eventually I plan to move it into the white fridge behind and drill a hole for a tap which I have ordered from China.

you can see the co2 bottle regulator and Corny.

party tap is not connected as it leaks when the keg is under pressure.

WP_20151030_20_37_43_Pro.jpg

Sorry took this portrait for some reason.

Currently in my garage. Eventually I plan to move it into the white fridge behind and drill a hole for a tap which I have ordered from China.

you can see the co2 bottle regulator and Corny.

party tap is not connected as it leaks when the keg is under pressure.

I think the picture problem is a glitch of the forum.

Biggest problem I've had since moving to corny's is chilling the beer to carbonate and to drink. Warm temperatures are not good for both so you'll have to move to a fridge system at some stage.

Gas should last for ages as it's liquid in the cannister and gas in the keg. Make sure you switch it off after each session as you may develope leaks!

Force carbonating is far better imo, it's far cleaner and a better product to serve to friends although not what the traitionalist would say :eek:

Last edited:
If you have the room for a fridge they are great

DSCF6068.jpg

DSCF6067.jpg

DSCF6066.jpg

The gas distribution board is a bonus. I have two lines into the fridge for carbonation/serving. One line for the cask breather on the hand pump, and one spare for cleaning etc.
I have added extra low reading pressure gauges in line.

The bottle fridge is set at 10c with and STC1000, although it will probably go lower in the winter. It is just waiting for 20 more bottles of stout currently conditioning indoors.

That is impressive. Is that in your garage?

In my shed. Slowly being converted to a nano bar. :-D

Have tried to add some elements from local pubs such as a corner bench (Dead mans corner from the Bell Aldworth) and a chez longue from the Pot Kiln, Frilsham (many moons ago).

A great place to relax and enjoy a freshly poured pint .:cheers:

love it. I notice the pipes on the cornys are much smaller (diameter) than the standard tubes. Is that to stop foaming?

love it. I notice the pipes on the cornys are much smaller (diameter) than the standard tubes. Is that to stop foaming?

Yes, they are 3/16. The corny outlet is 3/8 which I then put in a shut off tap and then a reducer to 3/16. A couple of metres of 3/16 in a coil in the fridge is then stepped up to 5/16 which goes out though the door to the beer tap.

I like my beer highly carbonated and found I needed the 3/16 line to reduce the pressure at the tap and thereby reduce the amount of froth

Latest posts

Back