Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Brewdays! > On the rocks Raspberry and Lime - 40 pint

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #21
Vinotinto

Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Spooky, since I posted yesterday and had the lid off to do a SG, it has gone 'flat'. May well bottle over weekend.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #22
Vinotinto

Bottled today. Upped the recommended priming sugar to 7oz. Into mostly swing tops and the excess into pet bottles. Got 43 500ml bottles.

Tastes a bit bland, hint of raspberry, not much in the way of apple. Early days , see how it goes after conditioning!
Roddy Likes This 
Old 13-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #23
Vinotinto

Pets are already rock hard. Exciting!

Old 13-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #24
Bigeck
Tight Ass Jock

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotinto View Post
Pets are already rock hard. Exciting!
I'd try one at this point to see if you are happy with the sweetness & fizz. If yes, chill the rest to stop the fermentation. You run the risk if bottle bombs if there is still some sugar left in there.

Old 13-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #25
Vinotinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeck View Post
I'd try one at this point to see if you are happy with the sweetness & fizz. If yes, chill the rest to stop the fermentation. You run the risk if bottle bombs if there is still some sugar left in there.
Er, only been in bottles 2 days. Understand what you are saying but others suggest that the swing tops and pets should be fine. Plan was to leave in warm for a week to condition then out in the cold for unlimited time , taking the odd one or two now and again to chill before opening.

Old 13-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #26
Bigeck
Tight Ass Jock

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It was the 2 days to rock hard that worried me, as I've overdone the sugar and they went rock hard in 4 days. When I opened them they fizzed up like a bottle of cheap lemonade

I'm still doing experimentation with how much to add. The rule of thumb seems to be they are ready when they get really hard.

Old 13-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #27
Vinotinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeck View Post
It was the 2 days to rock hard that worried me, as I've overdone the sugar and they went rock hard in 4 days. When I opened them they fizzed up like a bottle of cheap lemonade

I'm still doing experimentation with how much to add. The rule of thumb seems to be they are ready when they get really hard.
Or , leave them to condition , then put them out in the cold to clear then CHILL. Chill is the biggie? Open without chilling them down and they will go off like a rocket. Whack them in the fridge overnight then enjoy the fizz.

Only what peeps seem to suggest?

Old 14-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #28
Roddy

Liked 369 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotinto View Post
Or , leave them to condition , then put them out in the cold to clear then CHILL. Chill is the biggie? Open without chilling them down and they will go off like a rocket. Whack them in the fridge overnight then enjoy the fizz.

Only what peeps seem to suggest?
I'd agree with that
Condng: 3L of Mead (Sep-16)

Drinking: RGJ/Elderberry WOW, Blackcurrant TC, Strawberry WOW, Rhubarb and Ginger TC
Next up: Rasp/Blackberry TC, some WOW or other Rhubarb probably

All me recipes at:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqD9OOcGhwesm0Sn3Uv3VMozWHVS

Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #29
Vinotinto

Update. 3 weeks in the bottle but only two weeks outside. Chilled a couple down. Getting decent fizz, not massive but ok. The taste is ok but what my missus would call weak medicinal. Now I like a cider sweet and fruity so the medicinal aspect I can live with but I know where she is coming from. They are ok but still a tad 'bland' . So today I popped a 500ml swing top and poured it over 25ml of Lowitz Raspberry. WOW , Now that IS so much better!!

I am wondering how much better this will get on its own. I have a mixed berry one under the desk awaiting production. If that goes the same way then I think I may consider going back to a plain TC then adding the syrup to taste on pouring. That way gives so much variety of choice for guests as I can store the different flavours . Not so good for giveaways though. Ahh. Decisions , decisions.

Edit -- or, use the syrup to prime etc. Oh dear, today is becoming very confusing as I have also racked 5 gal of BVDale VCDR, bottled 3 gals of blackberry wine with copious amounts of tasting ( testing) at 16% and then started my first attempt at a BVDale Pinot Grigio.

HIC

Old 03-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #30
Roddy

Liked 369 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I would def try my strawberry and lime TC, made a few of these now and I reckon it's the closest thing to commercial (eg Kopparberg) that I've made so far

Recipes are in the brewdays forum, shout if you can't find it and want a copy

I gave up on cider kits after my first TC

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Condng: 3L of Mead (Sep-16)

Drinking: RGJ/Elderberry WOW, Blackcurrant TC, Strawberry WOW, Rhubarb and Ginger TC
Next up: Rasp/Blackberry TC, some WOW or other Rhubarb probably

All me recipes at:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqD9OOcGhwesm0Sn3Uv3VMozWHVS