Question from a noob

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephibaby

Reaction score
Hallo everyone,

I picked up a cheap Coopers Lager kit for £65 with everything in it, including 30x 750ml bottles, brew enhancer, and carbonation drops.

I watched a weeks worth of videos from various YouTube channels, but I have 1 question about my maiden brew yesterday…

I followed all the instructions, got an initial gravity of 1.036 (instructions said it should be around 1.038,) I think the wort might have been a touch too high when I took the reading, but I’m happy to be so close to it.

When the temperature read 22, I pitched the yeast, and left in my nice warm spare cupboard.

Fast forward to this morning, some 20 hours later, and the temperature still reads 22, but I can’t see a lot happening in the fermenter.

I’ve read that it takes roughly 24hrs before it really gets going, but I won’t be home until tonight after work to check, so was hoping some of you lovely people could confirm what I’ve read

Cheers!

Dong worry it'll be fine! You may not get a bubbling airlock either as some C02 might escape through the lid seal depending on how airtight it is. Again,not an issue. You should see a foamy head(krausen) start to appear..this is normal..it may even pop the lid! So,there's a few variables to consider..things that don't change....
DON'T KEEP LIFTING THE LID!
DON'T FIDDLE WITH IT OR POKE IT WITH ANYTHING!
LEAVE IT AT LEAST TWO WEEKS!
AFTER WHICH...give us a shout if you're stuck.
Be patient..you'll "soon" be supping your own beer.

Excellent, the vessel I’ve got is one of those coopers one with a Krausen Collar, so I don’t have to worry about airlocks 😁

This is what it looks like, after 60 hours in the fermenting bin, can’t see a lot happening, but I have got a bit of Krausen around the edge, and there’s a light foam across the top - the kit says I should remove the Krausen collar after 72 hours, and just attach the lid, leave it for four more days before bottling it, and leaving it for 2-3 weeks. Hopefully more is happening than what appears to be happening.

Not having a frame of reference from previous experience is frustrating 🤣

Attachments

• DEFE0822-7726-4780-9965-AB1613A89A7A.jpeg
    DEFE0822-7726-4780-9965-AB1613A89A7A.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 762B0F95-0E5C-46EA-98F1-3863C0375FC4.jpeg
    762B0F95-0E5C-46EA-98F1-3863C0375FC4.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 0
This is what it looks like, after 60 hours in the fermenting bin, can’t see a lot happening, but I have got a bit of Krausen around the edge, and there’s a light foam across the top - the kit says I should remove the Krausen collar after 72 hours, and just attach the lid, leave it for four more days before bottling it, and leaving it for 2-3 weeks. Hopefully more is happening than what appears to be happening.

Not having a frame of reference from previous experience is frustrating 🤣
I don't know what a Krausen kit is, so can't comment on removing it after 72 hours, but don't bottle if afte 72hrs + 4 days. As @Clint said, leave it for two weeks. Then measure the S.G two days in a row, if it remains the same then bottle it. Then keep it somewhere warm for two weeks to carbonate, then leave it somewhere cool for two weeks to condition, then crack a bottle open.

Yes, that all looks and sounds fine to me. I also started HB with a similar Coopers Starter Kit. It served me well until the tap got knocked off a bit and 2L of beer ended up all over the carpet. It got sacked off pretty fast after that happened!

Latest posts

Back