Aurora subsitute?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I want to brew this Deuchars IPA recipe as posted by MartialAnt but I don't have Aurora, is there a subsitute that I could use or should I try to get some Aurora. I'll be brewing 60L of it so would prefer to use hops that I have in stock.

I've done a quick google and can't find much about Aurora?

I'm not sure anyhting really comes close to Aurora but I think Styrian Goldings would be similar, although the AA of the two is usually very different so you might need a shedload :shock:

Hmm, I can see me going for something like Cascade or Chinook :hmm:

A fellow brewer of mine did a Deuchers type beer recently. Wasn't meant to be a clone, just something in the ballpark and used Fuggles, Bobek and Willamette, along with Aurora, if thats of any help.

I can truely say the resultant beer was divine. :cheers:

Wez said:
Hmm, I can see me going for something like Cascade or Chinook :hmm:
NO NO NO!!! You have to use Aurora. Its got a total taste of its own. When youve used Auaora once, you'll be buying more to use.
Aurora @ Barley bum £3.29. Thats nearly half price compared to Leyland. I bought from Leyland 2 days ago. Gutted now. Im getting my hops from him from now on. Just decided now.
Dont brew yet.
Wait until you've bought some Aurora.

Im desperate for an Aurora rhizome. Cant find it on sale anywhere.

Thats a No then :lol:

Fair enough, I'll get some Aurora :thumb:

Aurora are Styrians on PCP . . . and no you can't get close even using 3 times the qty of styrians as aurora

Just poured myself another Punk IPA - feckin lovely :cool: an extreme beer :thumb:

To me there's a proper grapefruit pith lovleyness (sp) to the Punk IPA.
I'd love to try a few of their other brews. Scotland seems to throwing up a few great micros as of late :cool:

yep, the guys from Brewdog got themselves a slot on James & Oz - did you catch that?

I caught the Burton one last night . . . the whole series is available on iPlayer apparently

MartialAnt said:
I mentioned brewing to SWO's this morning & she gave me a very stern look & swore at me. So im not brewing my D-IPA today. :cry:

You need to get yourself a shed my man.

Back