Hop selection...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey All, I'm going to brew a user upper RYE IPA and I'm a bit stuck with the hop schedule. Recipe is for approx. OG of 1057 and I'm looking to achieve around 50 IBU... I have about 50g citra, and 100g mosiac...which is fine and good, I see no reason why this wouldn't work well, in a RyePA however I want to save some of the fruitier hops for a whirlpool and dry hop, so I was thinking about introducing northern brewer to the mix, and perhaps using this up front for bittering and then later on alongside the mosiac and citra.

Any thoughts on this welcome - It's mainly the use of NB I'm curious about.

Thanks!!

Hey All, I'm going to brew a user upper RYE IPA and I'm a bit stuck with the hop schedule. Recipe is for approx. OG of 1057 and I'm looking to achieve around 50 IBU... I have about 50g citra, and 100g mosiac...which is fine and good, I see no reason why this wouldn't work well, in a RyePA however I want to save some of the fruitier hops for a whirlpool and dry hop, so I was thinking about introducing northern brewer to the mix, and perhaps using this up front for bittering and then later on alongside the mosiac and citra.

Any thoughts on this welcome - It's mainly the use of NB I'm curious about.

Thanks!!
Certainly you could use something like NB for bittering - I think Citra tends to be tad harsh when used as a bittering hop, for instance, which might preclude that in a hoppy beer that would be drunk quite young.

Back