cornflakes and ricecrispies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shocker

Landlord.
Reaction score
In various books passing mention is made of using the above breakfast cereals in place of flaked maize and rice.....any use or best saved for brekkie ?

corn flakes are not quite the same thing as flaked maize
and rice cripies have some added things I anot sure you want in your brew

also cornflakes have added vitamins as do rice cripies

get the proper stuff if you can

By weight its probably cheaper to use homebrewshop bought grains.
However I have used pretty much every cereal out of a packet and to be honest they produced some quaffable ales.

Try some and see for yourself.

The kids might complain when they have to have toast :)

When there was a shortage of flaked maize several years ago, before on-line buying, my LHBS recomended only using cornflakes from health food shops as they had nothing added.

I would think they would need a cereal mash to be fefmentable, but maybe good as an adjunct. I've thrown quaker oats in a brew to good effect!

I roasted Quaker oats and added to my stout too and that was fine.
Just out of interest i thought vitamin B1 was the nutrient for yeast and not vitamin D????

screamlead said:
Just out of interest i thought vitamin B1 was the nutrient for yeast and not vitamin D????
All these vitamins?? Great to know beer is good for you and we're an healthy bunch. :thumb:

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
screamlead said:
All these vitamins?? Great to know beer is good for you and we're an healthy bunch. :thumb:

BB

All bright eyed and bushy tailed here John...

Next You will be telling us its part of our five a day :lol:

I better get brewing more beer then.

Get some coco-pops chucked in your chocolate stout! :party:

"Coco Pops and Maris Otter makes a boiler full of fun!..."

I forbear to reply - so many answers , all less appropriate than the last come to mind that I am , for once , at a loss for words .....

Back