Barley crusher.. is this coming out right?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan

Reaction score
grainmill-grain.jpg

Just tried out my barley crusher for the first time :D how does that look? A bit too course?

Looks OK to me, mostly whole husks . . . you could possibly get away with nipping it a bit tighter though . . . The acid test is what happens when you mash it, does it lauter freely? Does it set? what is the efficiency?

FWIW you can't use crystal malts to set the gap as they just explode when they go though the mill

Will be trying it out soon then, I'll let you know.

Grabbed a bag of caramunich the other day.. when I got home I was thinking I shoulda asked for whole instead of crushed.

Are you saying the crusher wouldn't be too good on most speciality malts then, or just the darker malted ones?

No its fine for any malt, its just the crystal and Dark malts tend to shatter, but mixed with the pale its fine.

oh right ok

Would it be better to adjust it for certain grains then? Are some grains better with a more coarse / fine setting?

That looks a bit course to me. You would normally expect to see a little flour after the crush, and there is none I can see in the picture.

I set my mill with a feeler gauge, and leave it at about 1 mm (.040") for all my milling.

Wheat I tend to run through seperately first, and then add it back to the rest of the grist, so it gets run through twice.

Try it a see Ryan :thumb:
The finer the crush the easier is it to extract/convert in general, but that leads to possible problems with set mashes, not that I've experienced them.

I'll try it a bit closer then...

Hi V, yeah that was pretty much all I knew about crushing grain :)

I noticed this morning that the rubber O-ring had slipped over to the middle of the rollers during crushing with a drill attached.. are you supposed to take the O-ring off if you're using a drill or something? Anyone have any idea why it moved?

Back