Thermometer fluid in two parts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I think I know the answer but am after confirmation.
The fluid in my thermometer has separated into two bits. The majority of it remains in the bulb as it should but there's about 2⁰c worth of fluid stuck right up at the top. If I get a reading of 20⁰c do I need to add the approx 2⁰ worth of fluid on top of that to give me 22⁰ or does the 99% of what's left in the bulb still read accurately? I plan on boiling some water tomorrow to find out but thought I'd ask all you knowledgeable chaps and lady chaps on here first

Cheers Tom

Shake it down. Hold it at the top (non bulb end) and give it a sharp downward flick like it shows here

Taking it to max should correct it.
I did read something about doing that. Something about raising the level up to the expansion bubble at the top. The bubble looks to be at about the 135⁰c mark. I'll need to read it again but I got the impression that the bulk of the liquid needed to reach the bubble to force the gas up and allow the missing bit of fluid to rejoin the bulk. No way I can get it up to 135⁰ though or have I missed something?

Cheers Tom

As mash said, warm small amount of oil gently with thermometer in.

The flick method should work though. Maybe give it another go with more "flick"?

Tap it gently on some hard rubber, I used the edge of the sole of a trainer (shoe). Then keep it upright.

Shake it harder. If you felt confident about a string attachment to the thermometer you could also whirl it around your head. This will generate a lot of G without the short sharp shock.

Back