Is it legal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IN YOUR OPINION, is is legal to donate homebrew as a raffle prize?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Baz is right...

The law is:
"The duty on beer produced in the United Kingdom shall not be chargeable on beer produced by a person who produces beer only for his own domestic use."

The key word there is "only". The definition of "domestic" however is nice and vague. One could easily argue that "domestic" describes any action that you might reasonably perform with a purchased bottle of beer in a non-commercial way.

Example 1a: I go and buy a 4 pack of hobgoblin to take round a mate's house to accompany a curry.
Example 1b: I brew a hobgoblin clone and take 4 bottles round to a mate's house to accompany a curry.

I don't think you could ever argue that the example is non-domestic, its a normal thing to do in your domestic life.

Example 2a: I go and buy a 4 pack of mixed Wychwood beers to take along to share and discuss at my local beer appreciation society.
Example 2b: I dig 4 different bottles of my homebrew from the stash to take along to share and discuss at my local beer appreciation society.

Again, I think you would have a hard job arguing that scenario isn't a normal thing to do in your domestic life.

Next one is interesting, I've just actually done 3a!
Example 3a: I go and buy a 4 pack of mixed Wychwood beers which will form a raffle prize for a charity day in the local pub.
Example 3b: I dig 4 different bottles of my homebrew from the stash which will form a raffle prize for a charity day in the local pub.

Now, 3a is clearly a normal thing to do in your domestic life, the 4 pack of wychwood beer is part of my own domestic use, I've choosen to offer them up to a charity.
I think there is a pretty strong case to argue that the substitution of homebrew here is above board and within the scope of "domestic". Further, this kind of raffle with very limited income and prize value sits outside the gambling act too in that no gambling taxes are due on the ticket price or prizes, i.e. it's amateur, not for profit etc etc. Very "everyday", very "domestic".

Beer competitions are interesting, I guess your local homebrew circle competitions would always be "domestic" as it really is a hobby kind of activity, something you do in your own time for your own pleasure, a bit like knitting or quilting but tastier.

But what about the big comps where perhaps there are bigger prizes and you are competing against commercial operations? I guess the lines start to get blurry there, particularly if you are consistantly successful and win a lot of decent value stuff.

So basically, so long as you do with your home brew what you would do in your normal everyday non-commercial life with drink you buy from the shop I think you are well within the law.

The problem, as Baz says, is if you cross the line just once, you could be battered for a whole lot more than just the tax on the busted bottle.

tonyhibbett said:
I just looked up UK current rates of duty. For wine 5.5-15% abv. it's £236.39 per hectalitre (1000 litres), about 20p per bottle.
Except that a hectolitre is only 100 litres, so it's now £1.78 on a 75cl bottle, and that's on top of our income tax, thieving b4$t4rd$ :evil:

So that was beer...

...the legislation for wine and cider reads completely differently:

Cider:

Code:
Excise duty on cider.
(1)There shall be charged on cider—
(a)imported into the United Kingdom; or
(b)made in the United Kingdom by a person who is required by subsection (2) below to be registered as a maker of cider,
a duty of excise at the [F1rates shown in subsection (1A) below.]
[F2(1A)The rates at which the duty shall be charged are—
(a)[F3£166.70] per hectolitre in the case of sparkling cider of a strength exceeding 5.5 per cent.;
[F4(b)[F5£38.43] per hectolitre in the case of cider of a strength exceeding 7.5 per cent. which is not sparkling cider; and
(c)[F6£25.61] per hectolitre in any other case.]]
(2)Subject to subsection (3) below, a person who, on any premises in the United Kingdom, makes cider for sale must be registered with the Commissioners in respect of those premises.

So when you work that out it is:

"There shall be charged on cider made in the UK excise duty, at the rates shown, by a person who makes cider for sale"

In other words, "if you never sell it you can brew as much as you like and do with it whatever you like".

Wine:

Code:
Wine: charge of excise duty.
(1)There shall be charged on wine—
(a)imported into the United Kingdom; or
(b)produced in the United Kingdom by a person who is required by subsection (2) below to be licensed to produce wine for sale,
a duty of excise at the rates shown in Schedule 1 to this Act and the duty shall, in so far as it is chargeable on wine produced in the United Kingdom, be charged and paid in accordance with regulations under section 56 below [F1and with any regulations under section 1 of the Finance (No. 2) Act 1992].
(2)Subject to subsection (4) below, a person who, on any premises in the United Kingdom, produces wine for sale must hold an excise licence under this subsection in respect of those premises for that purpose.

Which is basically exactly the same as cider.

In short, cider and wine is fine unless you produce any wine for sale, at which point everything you brew becomes liable for duty.

Basically, my interpretation of all of this is:

- taking beer, wine or cider to your mate's house to share. Legal.
- tasting circles and homebrew clubs. Legal.
- offering homebrew as prizes in small local charity raffles and bottle stalls. Legal.
- any competitions that any of us might enter. Legal.
- selling any brewed product over 0.5% by volume. Illegal (if you don't then stump up the duty and get licenced of course)

Giving homebrew as a charity prize will be illegal, but not because of the rules and regs of making homebrew.... it will be because of the rules and regs of having a raffle.

I had a hand in helping out with a charity raffle a few months back and the red tape on just the prizes is ridiculous, in order to just sell tickets you need to apply for a license and the grounds of that license are quite specific.

calumscott said:
GNnnnnnnn! Must.... resist..... reading.... gambling.... act.... 2005....

Yup, that's the one lol. I remember that being mentioned a lot.

calumscott said:
The law is:
"The duty on beer produced in the United Kingdom shall not be chargeable on beer produced by a person who produces beer only for his own domestic use."

The key word there is "only". The definition of "domestic" however is nice and vague. One could easily argue that "domestic" describes any action that you might reasonably perform with a purchased bottle of beer in a non-commercial way.

I'm no expert, but I think you'd struggle to argue domestic means anything more vague than 'in the home'.

Hawks said:
I'm no expert, but I think you'd struggle to argue domestic means anything more vague than 'in the home'.

Dunno, what's it mean in car insurance documents when it says "social domestic and pleasure"?
Not may of us drive our cars round the insides of our houses...

Hawks said:
calumscott said:
The law is:

I think it means more "in connection with home life" as in recreational rather than occupational...

Now, I'm guessing that the text of that has come from some more archaic legislation and simply hasn't been changed to reflect the "not produced for sale" message in the sections relating to wine and cider. I would expect the interpretation of the law (remember that's what it's all about) to be the same for all three - there is nothing, except the rates of taxation, which sets the products apart and so you could reasonably expect the interpretation of all three clauses to be the same.

I'm no expert either but having read through a decent chunk of the legislation I would have no problem with the legality of any of the things discussed in this thread.

YMMV. :thumb:

calumscott said:
Damnit!!!

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/pd ... 202009.pdf

You don't need a licence for most charity raffles...

You need a license for just about anything that isn't private. For example if you wanted to hold a raffle for THBF only members would be allowed to buy tickets. This would mean anyone coming along to the raffle would not be allowed to take part, Wives, Gfs, Friends, Relatives, etc etc etc. No advertising outside the forum would be permitted and no advertising on the forum that is viewable by the public would be permitted. It's a minefield.

From there you need to then look into what is allowed to be given away as prizes, as obviously there are restrictions. Un-licensed, un-taxed alcohol would be filed under "no-no" unfortunately as the raffle tickets are obviously sold to generate a profit, regardless of where that money is going.

ScottM said:
calumscott said:
Damnit!!!

You need a license for just about anything that isn't private. For example if you wanted to hold a raffle for THBF only members would be allowed to buy tickets. This would mean anyone coming along to the raffle would not be allowed to take part, Wives, Gfs, Friends, Relatives, etc etc etc. No advertising outside the forum would be permitted and no advertising on the forum that is viewable by the public would be permitted. It's a minefield.

That would be private society lottery.

But you could run one as an "incidental non-commercial lottery" which also doesn't need a licence. So if THBF have a raffle at the hot break then so long as the prizes are within budget and non of the cash is for personal gain etc it would be fine - anyone attending could participate.

ScottM said:
From there you need to then look into what is allowed to be given away as prizes, as obviously there are restrictions. Un-licensed, un-taxed alcohol would be filed under "no-no" unfortunately as the raffle tickets are obviously sold to generate a profit, regardless of where that money is going.

As far as I can see the Gambling Act doesn't make any provision for what prizes are or aren't acceptable for a lottery. Except that for unlicenced lotteries you can't SPEND more than £500 on prizes (but you can raffle as much donated stuff as you like) or spend more than £100 organising it, there is no provision for what type of thing can be a prize.

No such legislation exists in the Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act either ergo raffling homebrew for charity seems perfectly legit (well cider and wine certainly, the "domestic" argument for beer would need to be proved).

calumscott said:
ScottM said:
calumscott said:
Damnit!!!

That would be private society lottery.

But you could run one as an "incidental non-commercial lottery" which also doesn't need a licence. So if THBF have a raffle at the hot break then so long as the prizes are within budget and non of the cash is for personal gain etc it would be fine - anyone attending could participate.

ScottM said:

As far as I can see the Gambling Act doesn't make any provision for what prizes are or aren't acceptable for a lottery. Except that for unlicenced lotteries you can't SPEND more than £500 on prizes (but you can raffle as much donated stuff as you like) or spend more than £100 organising it, there is no provision for what type of thing can be a prize.

No such legislation exists in the Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act either ergo raffling homebrew for charity seems perfectly legit (well cider and wine certainly, the "domestic" argument for beer would need to be proved).

Ah yes, that differs from the one we did as we were selling tickets prior to the event.

I'm almost positive there is a restriction to the prizes on offer, other than value. For example I'm certain that cash isn't allowed to be raffled. There will be stipulations somewhere or other.

ScottM said:
I'm almost positive there is a restriction to the prizes on offer, other than value. For example I'm certain that cash isn't allowed to be raffled. There will be stipulations somewhere or other.

I think cash is fine too - after all that's what a sweepstake is! It's a lottery for cash, the random element is the drawing of your team/horse and the result is outside of your control...

Raffling cash is just a reverse sweepstake - clearly you couldn't raffle more than £500 in total prize money...

Found someone saying something similar...

It is illegal to give home brewed products as prizes where tickets are bought.
If the admission includes a raffle ticket, even that is walking a thin line.
If excise duty has been paid, then that's OK

They didn't reference their sources though. Probably in the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976 so things may have changed.

Now you have me reading legislation as well... :ugeek: and it's because I want you to be right :thumb:

BUT, some further interesting bits:

My favourite ( clearly pretty irrelevant but worth sharing as Moley has already referenced it ;) ) from the 1880 Inland Revenue Act:

34. (1.) A brewer, other than a brewer for sale, shall only brew
beer for his own domestic use, or for consumption by farm-
labourers employed by him in the actual course of their labour or
employment.
(2.) The brewer shall only brew on premises occupied by him, or,
in case the brewer occupies a house of an annual value not
exceeding ten pounds, on premises gratuitously lent to him by a
brewer other than a brewer for sale.
(3.) If the brewer contravenes either of the foregoing provisions
of this section, or sells, or offers for sale, any beer brewed by him,
he shall incur the penalty of ten pounds.

The Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979 states:

The duty on beer produced in the United Kingdom shall not be chargeable on beer produced by a person who produces beer only for his own domestic use

The 1991 Finance Act makes some provisions on excise duty.. including this paragraph regarding who has to register for duty:

A person who produces beer on any premises shall not be required to be registered under this section in respect of those premises if the beer is produced solely for his own domestic use or solely for the purposes of research or experiments in the production of beer.

HMRC Notice 226 - Beer Duty from Nov 2011 says:

4.4 Exemption from registration
You do not need to apply for registration to produce beer in the following circumstances:
brewing solely for your own domestic consumption, or
brewing only for research or experimental purposes - see section 17.

This would certainly suggest you don't have to brew in your home - so shared brewdays / brewery set-ups seem ok.
However it does now say "for your own domestic consumption"

I still think you'd struggle to argue that makes it ok to give away ( assuming of course someone was to actually come after you )

calumscott said:
ScottM said:

I think cash is fine too - after all that's what a sweepstake is! It's a lottery for cash, the random element is the drawing of your team/horse and the result is outside of your control...

Raffling cash is just a reverse sweepstake - clearly you couldn't raffle more than £500 in total prize money...

Cash is definitely not OK at a charity raffle. We asked about this personally.

You can discount the HMRC Notice completely. They are simply guidance notes which aim to simplify the legislation, they are not in themselves legislation.

Therefore the key phrase is "domestic use" not "domestic consumption".

And on raffling cash...

The Gambling Act defines a prize as:

Code:
(4)In this Act “prize” in relation to lotteries includes any money, articles or services—
(a)whether or not described as a prize, and
(b)whether or not consisting wholly or partly of money paid, or articles or services provided, by the members of the class among whom the prize is allocated.

And this appears to be corroborated in Schedule 11 of the act which is the bit that deals with lotteries exempt from licence:

Customer Lottery:
Code:
Maximum prize
27 It must not be possible for the purchaser of a ticket in a customer lottery to win by virtue of that ticket more than £50 (whether in money, money's worth, or partly the one and partly the other).

Small Society Lottery:
Code:
Maximum prize
34 It must not be possible for the purchaser of a ticket in a small society lottery to win by virtue of that ticket (whether in money, money's worth, or partly the one and partly the other) more than £25,000.

Curiously neither "Incidental non-commercial lotteries" nor "Private Lotteries" have any maximum prize stipulation. So Para 4 of the Act says money is fine and Schedule 11 makes no provision to either exclude money or limit it in scope...

However... I think the confusion comes in the definition of the gaming type. I think there is a stipulation about the prizes not varying per the number of players, that turns it from lottery to prize gaming and that really does need a licence (the National Lottery of course isn't actually a lottery...).

So if you have a raffle for £100 that seems fine. If you have a "raffle" for n% of the takings that is no longer a lottery and you need a licence...

calumscott said:
And on raffling cash...

The Gambling Act defines a prize as:

Code:
(4)In this Act “prize” in relation to lotteries includes any money, articles or services—
(a)whether or not described as a prize, and
(b)whether or not consisting wholly or partly of money paid, or articles or services provided, by the members of the class among whom the prize is allocated.

And this appears to be corroborated in Schedule 11 of the act which is the bit that deals with lotteries exempt from licence:

Customer Lottery:
Code:
Maximum prize
27 It must not be possible for the purchaser of a ticket in a customer lottery to win by virtue of that ticket more than £50 (whether in money, money's worth, or partly the one and partly the other).

Small Society Lottery:
Code:
Maximum prize
34 It must not be possible for the purchaser of a ticket in a small society lottery to win by virtue of that ticket (whether in money, money's worth, or partly the one and partly the other) more than £25,000.

Curiously neither "Incidental non-commercial lotteries" nor "Private Lotteries" have any maximum prize stipulation. So Para 4 of the Act says money is fine and Schedule 11 makes no provision to either exclude money or limit it in scope...

However... I think the confusion comes in the definition of the gaming type. I think there is a stipulation about the prizes not varying per the number of players, that turns it from lottery to prize gaming and that really does need a licence (the National Lottery of course isn't actually a lottery...).

So if you have a raffle for £100 that seems fine. If you have a "raffle" for n% of the takings that is no longer a lottery and you need a licence...

As I said, we were told money was not allowed to be raffled as a price when for a charity. Our raffle was considered a private one. I don't know whether it was because the proceeds were for charity or because it was a private raffle.

The fundraising websites dotted on the interweb would tend to agree.

http://www.raisingfunding.co.uk/cash-ra ... legal.html

Back