Is it legal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IN YOUR OPINION, is is legal to donate homebrew as a raffle prize?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
pope_pius_ix said:
Thanks for deleting the poll, which would have provided me with a quick idea as to what people think.

Instead I have to trawl through these various acts of Parliament, which is what I was trying to avoid.
oldstout said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You beat me to it!!

Think Moley may have been a bit hasty closing bits down on this thread :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: it's turned into a corker :thumb:
My apologies, your Holiness, I thought it was a straight "no", but this topic has turned into a corker and we still don't seem to have a straight answer. You are welcome to re-edit your original post and reinstate it.

I think we've established the point about raffles, but in more general terms, the exemption regarding 'experimentation' is an interesting one. Most of my brews are experiments and it seems also true of many other members. Part of the experimentation is giving it to others to get their opinion on the results, so the winemaking circle tasting session would would fit this category, I guess.

oldstout said:
Nowt wrong with creative accounting....

:lol:

Like a certain Mr Ken Dodd, the originator of self asessment :rofl: long before HMRC thought of it... HMRC just didn't approve of his figures :lol:

bobsbeer said:
like chase Mr Barlow and Carr....

If I had the money I would be putting it in a K2 Scheme and pay only 2% tax. Not quite true the companies that set up these schemes usually charge you either a flat fee or a % on the money to be siphoned off.

stuartjp said:
Providing a fermenting service, specifically for foraged soft fruits, i.e. brambles (or blackberries, if you prefer).

I don't know if you can ferment it for someone but you can provide a juice extraction (ie apple pressing) service ready for fermenting and also in the case of beer you can provide facilities to mash and boil, but not quite sure about the fermenting bit. There used to be franchises for that sort of thing and I think aleman has in the past looked into it. However I think that even if you don't fall foul of HMRC you will be under the watchful eye of Enviromental health which means food prep facilities.

graysalchemy said:
I don't know if you can ferment it for someone but you can provide a juice extraction (ie apple pressing) service ready for fermenting and also in the case of beer you can provide facilities to mash and boil, but not quite sure about the fermenting bit.

I think you are right - provide the liquid to be brewed with some yeast and you should be ok from HMRC

Enjoying this thread still though :thumb:

Hawks said:
graysalchemy said:
I don't know if you can ferment it for someone but you can provide a juice extraction (ie apple pressing) service ready for fermenting and also in the case of beer you can provide facilities to mash and boil, but not quite sure about the fermenting bit.

I think you are right - provide the liquid to be brewed with some yeast and you should be ok from HMRC

Enjoying this thread still though :thumb:

Yup, providing a fermenting service would be frowned upon - you would then be brewing for reward (in the form of bramble juice).

Providing a juicing service or "making up a bramble wine kit service" won't put you on the wrong side of the revenue for Duty but it will for income tax! Technically you would need to value the juice and pay income tax and NI on it as a sole trader.

As I said the Environmental Health Police and Food Standards Gestapo would be more of the worry.

:evil: :evil:

Hawks said:
graysalchemy said:
No the jury is still out but with the vote i think we are getting a consensus. :lol:
:rofl: :rofl:

5 say yes 4 say no :lol: ..... basically we don't really know :wha:

But wouldn't base my defence with HMRC/Council/anyone from any Ministry of Interference on a poll from the forum :nono: would need some proper legal guidance personally ;)

I seem to recall some recent talk about paying tax on cider. I have no source for this apart from memory so could be wrong and of course IANAL*

There is a limit, below which you don't pay tax if you're producing cider, and I think this is something like 5000 hectolitres (!), basically this was bought in to stop small orchard owners from grubbing up their ancient orchards - because they decided that it wasn't worth making the small amount of cider, and having to pay all the tax on it.

I've made cider, and given it away to friends just to try, or as presents, as I would do this with bought wine, I see this as being within the spirit of the law (if not necessarily within the letter of it).

one can donate bottles of wine to raffles/tombolas and I don't see why there is any difference with donating a home brew bottle - apart from the 'paying for a ticket for a prize amounts to buying the prize' thing.

on a small, local scale, I can't see the problem - if someone gets ill from your homebrew though (however unlikely)... :sick:
I guess that's why we have labels on our bottles that mention that the bottle contains sulphites, and was prepared in an area that may also have had nuts in it, and is(/not) suitable for vegetarians, and to always drink responsibly ( :whistle: )

*I Am Not A Lawyer

Crastney said:
... one can donate bottles of wine to raffles/tombolas and I don't see why there is any difference with donating a home brew bottle -
If the wines shop bought its already had several different layers of duty/tax on it :evil:

Crastney said:
.... I guess that's why we have labels on our bottles that mention that the bottle contains sulphites, and was prepared in an area that may also have had nuts in it
Labels :shock: thats a bit posh, you'll get a number on the bottle top and make do here pal :lol:

Crastney said:
.... , and was prepared in an area that may also have had nuts in it
Yup, thats a certainty here :wha: definitely prepared by a nut :rofl: :rofl:

I have removed a posting regarding Distillation as you are all aware this subject is banned by thbf rules please refrain from the subject

there are other legalities you have to look at here aswell, such as "the supply of alcohol to others", it was once legal, to sell a ticket outside a room serving alcohol, then enter in a "draw" where you would "win a free pint".

that loophole was closed back in 2005.

i also know of several organisation who have scapped homebrew comptitions due to possible complications with the law.

sadly folks, this is the way of the world. i for one am going to make the most of my beer, as i predict the UK will be completely alcohol free within 20 years.

Latest posts

Back