And so it begins.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: stainless steel vessel for making the boiler. You can't go wrong with the stuff on ebay from this place.

Search on http://shop.ebay.fr/catering-service-fr/m.html, I got a 70L S/Steel stockpot for around £55 delivered. Many on here have stuff from them, particularly the Baine Marie's as insulated mash tuns.

You can contact them directly and apparently are a bit cheaper if you do. Use the translater facility on google if your French is merde.

Moley said:
snail59 said:
Also found out the Churn is steel NOT Aluminium. :nono:

So ive got one of these instead http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Third line from the bottom:
NOT SUITABLE FOR LONG EXPOSURE TO VERY  HIGH TEMPERATURES  AS THE  CONTAINER WILL DEFORM 

I did see that Moley but thanks for pointing it out :thumb: . My thinking is if it's not up to the job I do need a new FV as iv cracked one of mine so it's a cheap FV if its not up to boiler conversion.

pjbiker said:
Re: stainless steel vessel for making the boiler. You can't go wrong with the stuff on ebay from this place.

Search on http://shop.ebay.fr/catering-service-fr/m.html, I got a 70L S/Steel stockpot for around £55 delivered. Many on here have stuff from them, particularly the Baine Marie's as insulated mash tuns.

You can contact them directly and apparently are a bit cheaper if you do. Use the translater facility on google if your French is merde.

PJ thats fine if you have that kind of budget but my whole brewery is gonna have to cost less than that :D :D :D

The Brewery Build has taken yet another twist as ive managed to get my grubby little hands on this.

Burco.jpg
Ss.jpg

A 37ltr Burco wash boiler. £30 off Fleabay. Dont you just love it :D

Oh my god.

I think i've built

A BREWERY

Brewrey2.jpg

A few bits to do yet but I think the basics are there. Need to insulate the tun & organise the layout but all in all it's about ready to BREW BEER :D

And so it really begins :clap:

The real fun (obsession :? ) starts :lol: Looks like a great set up all that research and hard work has paid off, any nearer to your first brew recipe or still tasting :whistle:

Thanks Rick. :cheers:
Credit in part goes to all the helpfull tips and build guides from forum members. :clap:

Still taste testing at the moment. Mrs Snail wants a Chocolate Stout after testing Youngs Double Chocolate last night :D

Giving Wolf Brewerys Lavander Honey Beer a go tonight. Then i've got a St Peters Honey Porter to try as well. Not sure what a porter is :wha: (other that they work in hotels and markets :D ). Didnt even know Porter was a Beer till I signed up on here (but I have heard Wogan say more Porter Matron on many occasion). If I get the build finishe at the weekend might give a brew a go Bank holiday weekend :shock:

Vossy1 said:
Great work snail :clap:
Looking forward to the 1st brew....with piccies :grin:

Thanks Vossy.
Now I have a Burco I already want another one to replace the HOME MADE FV HLT. :D

Ive decided on my first recipe ingrediants are on order so get the build finished at the weekend tweek the layout do a test run with water to check for leaks then it should be all systems go for a bank holiday virgin brewday :shock:

Ive decided on my first recipe ingrediants are on order so get the build finished at the weekend tweek the layout do a test run with water to check for leaks then it should be all systems go for a bank holiday virgin brewday
:party:

snail59 said:
It will have some kind of faulse bottom as the strainer uses the no solder method so if you caught it with a stirer it would probably fall apart :D

I never got round to making a false bottom and yes, the manifold has fallen apart before. I now put some lacky bands on it to keep it together which works. False bottom would be good though

The build is now complete.

Compl.jpg

There are some up dates planned but they wont happen till ive sold my house and moved. I never realy intended to build an AG set up till I had moved in the first place.

The Mash tun is now insulated. It sits in a foam base and has a cover made from one section of a water tank jacket.

Insu.jpg

Ive tested it with 10lts of water. I didnt warm the tun first and with just water in it it droped from 75c down to 63c in 90mins so I hope it will hold temp better with grains in.

Ive done the calculations for dead space.
HLT 2000ml Mash Tun 1350ml Now the Boiler was 75000ml yes thats correct 7.5lts dead space. So ive done some re designing of the hop filter and tap

Syphon.jpg
Tap.jpg

Ive used 2 elbows to drop the strainer below the outlet and added a length of copper pipe to the tap creating a syphon effect and with the holes of the strainer facing down ive got the dead space down to 700ml. A vast improvement on 7.5lts.

So thats it Brewery sorted, ingredients are in the brew cupboard so I supose im ready to brew. Roll on next sunday

looking good mate. bet you cant wait till your cherry popping brew. If all goes to plan ill be christening my new boiler next sunday.

Have you decided what your first brew is going to be?

Latest posts

Back