And so it begins.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail59

Regular.
Reaction score
I seem to have these lying around :hmm: . Anyone got any ideas what I could use them for :wha:

Brewrey.jpg

And so it begins :whistle:

Welcome to the DARK SIDE Snail.
As Sean says, take your time. You might like to think about adding some extra insulation to your coolbox.

:clap: what you planning for your first brew Mick :cool:
I agree with dave - extra insulation in the tun is a great idea - especially in the lid as its normally empty, I used some polystrene packaging i had :thumb: ( expanding foam may work :hmm: )

The only problem with the new Asda cool box is the lid. It just a single piece of plastic, so no extra insulation can be added to it. So all you can do is to wrap a old sleeping bag around it when you are mashing. Well thats what i do.

corby_brewer said:
The only problem with the new Asda cool box is the lid. It just a single piece of plastic, so no extra insulation can be added to it. So all you can do is to wrap a old sleeping bag around it when you are mashing. Well thats what i do.

That`s a shame - but an old sleeping bag or pillow will do a great job :D

The insulation ideas have been taken on board guys thanks :thumb:

Now a question. The kettles come with a years warranty will this effect that :hmm:

Warrenty.jpg

31bb3 said:
cut some polystyrene sheets to the right size

Im going to drill the tabs put a rod through the holes to form a grip. Strap the lid to a board. Drill the top and fill with foam. The rods in the tabs should hold the foam in to the lid.

snail59 said:
31bb3 said:
cut some polystyrene sheets to the right size

Im going to drill the tabs put a rod through the holes to form a grip. Strap the lid to a board. Drill the top and fill with foam. The rods in the tabs should hold the foam in to the lid.
Worth a try keep the pics coming :thumb:

So today I started to build my 1st AG brewery.
First up insulating the lid of an Asda coolbox.
There are 6 tabs in the lid these were drilled and useing garden wire lengths of dowel were joined together to create a mesh.

Key.jpg

The idea is this mesh will hold expanding foam inside the lid.

The lid is placed onto a flat piece of boad with a sheet of tin foil between them. 4 holes are drilled to alow foam to be injected in to the cavity then straped down to stop the expanding foam just lifting the lid.

Lid1.jpg

Foam is injected via the 4 holes to fill the void and if all works as planned the tin foil will stick to the foam to create a reflective surface inside the lid. Now when they say EXPANDING poam the mean EXPANDING FOAM.

Lid3.jpg

This seams to have worked quite well but cant be 100% sure just yet as the foam inside the lid cavity has not fully set will report back later.

Wet.jpg

Also on todays list was to build a boiler and mash tun.

Boiler is an FV with kettle element.

Element.jpg
Works.jpg

One element works but going to add the second as it took 30 mins to get 12lts to 95C

Made the strainer for the mash tun.

Strain.jpg

Now how do you join the strainer to the tap

Join.jpg

The hole on the inside of the tank conector is to small to get the 15mm copper pipe in.

Not made my Hop strainer yet but were getting there.

So how we looking guys anyone spot anything wrong if so please point it out.

I read on one thread that it is worth filing (Dremel anyone?) the inside of the the tank connector so you can push the pipe right through to the tap. Just can't remember which thread :wha:

Does the mash tun need to have a false bottom (ie holed Perspex), so that when the mash is stirred you won't be catching the spoon on the on the strainer or have any mash stuck :?:

Cussword said:
Does the mash tun need to have a false bottom (ie holed Perspex), so that when the mash is stirred you won't be catching the spoon on the on the strainer or have any mash stuck :?:

It will have some kind of faulse bottom as the strainer uses the no solder method so if you caught it with a stirer it would probably fall apart :D

Back