Youngs AIPA and AAA hop pellets loose or in a muslin straining bag?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotley73

Reaction score
Hi all I have just bought the 2 kits above and I am expecting great results and some cracking beer. What do you think about putting the hop pellets in a bag or do you think they should be loose as per instructions. I am a bit concerned about hop debris as I don't siphon from the fermenter into the bottling bucket I have a tap at low level and connect tubing to flow straight into the bottom of the bottling bucket any advice will be greatly received cheers in advance

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I used them loose and siphoned to a pressure barrel and then a bottling bucket.

Some people find muslin bags hamper the hop flavour as they have less room to move but I have only used them when dry hopping with leaf hops.

With your set up you could try propping up you fv depending on where your tap is you could either
- Collect the hop debris away from the tap (you may end up losing more than usual)
- Collect the debris at the tap and drain (hoping you don't get any blockages) the debris into a jug or two until you get clear beer.
As i type this, it sounds less and less like a god option....
- Buy a siphon and take it off the debris and into you bottling bucket.

Cheers wfr I may do that would you put a sock on the siphon in the fermenter as I believe you do with the festival kits?

Cheers wfr I may do that would you put a sock on the siphon in the fermenter as I believe you do with the festival kits?
That's what I do, i.e. use a sock (that came with a festival kit) on the end the siphon. That way you get the best of both worlds. The pellets will break up and be free in the FV and you can also effectively filter out the hop bits before you bottle or keg.
You can buy them off ebay but they are a bit pricey considering you only need one and can keep re-using it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-Home-...3d9a526&pid=100623&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=231757390902

That's what I do, i.e. use a sock (that came with a festival kit) on the end the siphon. That way you get the best of both worlds. The pellets will break up and be free in the FV and you can also effectively filter out the hop bits before you bottle or keg.
You can buy them off ebay but they are a bit pricey considering you only need one and can keep re-using it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-Home-...3d9a526&pid=100623&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=231757390902

I do wot terry does...works a treat..clear beer in 2 daze

Cheers all just one more question does the sock go on the end of the syphon in the primary fermenter or on the end in the bottling bucket cheers

Cheers all just one more question does the sock go on the end of the syphon in the primary fermenter or on the end in the bottling bucket cheers

I put mine on the end of the siphon in the FV, which keeps the hops in FV and doesn't let hops enter and then clog up the tube.

I put mine on the end of the siphon in the FV, which keeps the hops in FV and doesn't let hops enter and then clog up the tube.

Plus 1 but put a champagne wire in the bag, then the bag doesn't clog the siphon .

Good idea :thumb:.
That said I've never had any hops clog things up.

I tended to find the the end of the siphon clogged on the hop bag, simple fix with the wire. And given the wife likes a bottle of sparkling wine now and again they can be considered disposable. :whistle:

Back